What to do up in the Mt Schilthorn in winter?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2017 at 18:51:28 #810708

Hi

I am currently in Switzerland and just had a glorious day up in Jungfrau. Tomorrow it’s Schilthorn.

Can anyone tell me if there is any winter hiking that can be done up there? Is there anything else to look out for whilst up in Schilthorn.

Many thanks

Les

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 February 2017 at 19:15:09 #858618

Hi Les,

Our Schilthorn page explains about what to expect. There is no winter hiking. The Schilthorn is very steep and even in summer it’s a challenge to hike up or down from there. In winter it is impossible.

Have a wonderful day up there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2017 at 20:18:02 #858619

Thanks Arno. Weather has not been to bad since we arrived on Saturday. Only one day of rain (yesterday) but that did not deter us from doing a cruise on Lake Thun. Our apartment lies along the front of the lake in Darligen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2017 at 21:31:21 #858620

Is going up via stechelberg better than Grutschalp?

darrell
    Participant
    38 posts
    2 February 2017 at 4:46:22 #858621

If you can make the early lift up to Schilthorn and weather is great consider the Brunch that is offered at Piz Gloria—when there we took Lauterbrunnen lift up to Grutschalp train to Murren walk 5-10 minutes to Schilthorn cable car changing @Birg continuing on to Pia Gloria —— I think we left Murren up to Pia Gloria at 0820——-Brunch was very good -we spent 3 hours eating and enjoying the views————At Birg there may be a glass cliff walk you can do –was not open yet when we were there —open in winter??? At Pia Gloria the revolving restaurant building has a small 007 James Bond Museum Have a Great time !

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 February 2017 at 7:28:22 #858622

It’s not better, it’s different. I’d recommend only way up and the other down so you so both routes. Going up via Stechelberg is slightly more spectacular I think.

• The thread ‘What to do up in the Mt Schilthorn in winter?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.