What to eat in Switzerland: Lucerne and Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2012 at 8:56:13 #805185

I’ll be visiting Lucerne and Interlaken for a 4 day trip. I am from India. I eat non-veg (beef, pork, chicken, sea-food etc) so no veg issues for me. I want to try out new cuisines from Switzerland. What options do i have? Please suggest options that are easy on the pocket 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    27 April 2012 at 11:27:35 #835838

Rösti is a very traditional Swiss dish, particularly in the mountainous areas so hopefully you won’t have trouble finding it in the cities. Otherwise, it is worth a train ride up to Kleine Scheidegg to have lunch at the restaurant right by the train tracks — they specialize in rösti. And the train trip is gloriously beautiful. Once you reach KS you will have a panoramic view of Eiger, Mönch Jungfrau and the glaciers.

Anyway, rösti is like what we call hash browns in the US — grated potatoes that are pan sauteed in butter. That’s the basic dish, then you can add cheese, fried egg, ham, whatever you want. Absolutely delicious and very traditional.

Another traditional dish is raclette, which is sliced potatoes with melted cheese.

And of course the wurst (sausages).

All of these are relatively inexpensive (by Swiss standards, anyway)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2012 at 15:33:34 #835839

thanks for the info 🙂

• The thread ‘What to eat in Switzerland: Lucerne and Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.