Clothing needed for hiking in Switzerland in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 0:19:31 #819993

I am taking a self guided train and hiking tour of Switzerland end of May. I love my jeans, but are they too warm?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 February 2019 at 1:52:38 #904533

Hi Jsmickelwait –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps-

<<“I love my jeans, but are they too warm?”>>

Simple answer, “No”.

More likely, not warm enough. ;-(

Depends a lot on where in Switzerland, and exactly when in May.

The Forum Rules request that you provide travel dates…not to annoy you, but because the weather is highly dependent on timing.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

If you are trying to hike at high altitudes, you’ll freeze. Lots of snow and ice still on the ground.

In the lower altitudes, Spring progresses from marginal to advanced in May, depending on where you are.

Altitude counts, as does local topography.

Where and when will you travel?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 9:10:57 #904534

Hi Jsmickelwait,

Welcome to MySwissAlps and soon to the Swiss mountains.

As Slowpoke says it is hard to answer your questions with so little detail about your destinations. Generally speaking, in the high mountains you have to be prepared for everything, always.

To get some support this page can help: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Otherwise please provide some details and I’m sure we can help.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 17:56:48 #904535

Thanks for your quick reply. My dates are May 20 to June 4. Itinerary: Vevey, Murren, Lucerne, Lugano, Bergün, Appenzell, and Schaffhausen. Will take some mountain trains like Rochers de Naye, and maybe Pilatus or whatever is open, as I realize that some mountain trips won’t be available yet. What mountain trips would you recommend that will be open??

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 February 2019 at 21:18:52 #904536

<<“Will take some mountain trains like Rochers de Naye, and maybe Pilatus or whatever is open, as I realize that some mountain trips won’t be available yet. What mountain trips would you recommend that will be open??”>>

Here is a start. Lots of details with each link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites/ mountains

Those links give open dates, but, you can always check the timetable for your preferred day.

And, temperatures –

This one gives me Fahrenheit:

http://www.weatherbase.com/we ather/city.php3?c=CH&countryname=Switz erland

Of course, you’ll see Celsius once there or on most forum posts:

http://www.climatestotravel.c om/climate/switzerland

http://www.currentresults.com /Weather/Switzerland/a verage-annual-temperatures.php

Webcams may be useful:

en.swisswebcams.ch/kat egorien

What draws you to Bergün?

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&E=2778269.2 0&N=1166346.02&zoom=5

We liked the rail trail from Preda to Bergün. It is a high enough altitude to be concerned about possible snow on the trails.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 22:38:22 #904537

Wow, thanks so much. I was planning to walk the Bergün trail but I wasn’t prepared for snow. Think I better add another pound or two of clothes and shoes to my backpack-carryon, doggone it! Great website, by the way.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 February 2019 at 22:58:34 #904538

I said possible.

It is difficult to predict at that time of year, but the trail is definitely shaded at several places.

If I were doing it, being of a cautious nature, I’d wait until mid- to late June.

We did it on Monday, June 30, 1997, and it was wide open.

I think that one of the moderators knows the trail…perhaps we can get a second opinion.

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preda-berguen

Bergün could be snow free….. I recall that the valley opens up there and could have good sunshine.

Have you considered the BLS Südrampe trail? Dry and sunny…should be good then.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 14:12:30 #904539

Hi Jsmickelwait,

If you mean the trail that Slowpoke linked in his last post, then I estimate a 95% chance that there won’t be snow on the trail.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2019 at 16:14:44 #904540

Hi Arno-

To be clear- do you mean Preda-Bergün?

You know the trail more recently than I, so if that is your opinion, I’ll accept it. Seems a bit early to me.

If you mean the BLS Südrampe Trail, I am sure that the Südrampe trail will be clear. That “South Slope” gets a lot of sun. And, the whole valley is in a rain shadow, hence the prevalence of die Wasserleitungen….the bisses..

They make a substantial effort to have it open by or on Easter weekend…April 21st this year.

In the link I posted there are a couple of shots that showed some residual snow. They were taken in early April.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 19:15:31 #904541

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, Preda to Bergün. The trail is on the valley floor. Even though it’s a high valley starting at 1789 m, I would not expect any (significant) snow there in late May/early June. Given the current temperatures I wonder if any snow will be left in April. But we all know that anything is possible in the mountains 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 February 2019 at 20:17:27 #904542

Arno-

As I note, you have a much better idea than I do of recent conditions. We still don’t know about the snowpack…there was pretty heavy snow in southeastern eastern Switzerland a few weeks ago…..

Climate warming I understand. That did not stop it from snowing in August at Männlichen a couple of years ago, admittedly several hundred meters higher.

But, generalized warming can certainly can make a difference at that time of year.

What concerns me is lack of sun exposure in significant parts of the valley.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=27 77905.00&N=1163505.00& zoom=7

There are significant stretches in the middle of the hike where the valley is deep and narrow. I am reminded of places on other trails where stretches with little or no sun take a long while to be free of ice and snow after most of the trail is clear.

So, If Jsmickelwait takes that route, we can ask him to please give us a report. I hope you are right.

There are some helpful webcams, particularly the one at Naz:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=27 78216.75&N=1162682.00& zoom=6

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/berg%C3%BCn-2661556/

The ones at Bergün should show snow-free land in May if your predictions are correct, wouldn’t you say?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 February 2019 at 14:51:39 #904543

Hi Slowpoke,

Yes, a report would be great indeed. Keeping an eye on those webcams would be interesting 🙂 I learned that a warmer climate can cause more snowfall in certain places. E.g. where dry and cold was the average, now moist and less cold (around the freezing point) could occur more often, causing more snow. Then with a warm spring that opens up a new set of challenges.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2019 at 22:25:02 #904544

Would the Landwasser Viaduct hike from Filisur have better hiking conditions than the Preda-Bergün one, on May 30? Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 February 2019 at 22:42:20 #904545

Much much shorter, and at lower altitude.

Should be snow free.

In my opinion, The Südrampe trail that I linked before is a much nicer trail than the Preda-Bergun walk because of the varied terrain and scenery. It has expansive views and a nice open feeling for much of the trail. Preda- Bergün, as noted, is deep in a valley for a considerable part of the hike.

You could access it as a day trip from Muerren, starting at Hohtenn and walking to Ausserberg.

Slowpoke

The S

• The thread ‘Clothing needed for hiking in Switzerland in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.