What to wear in Switzerland in May 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 9:07:40 #815437

Hi,

We planning to visit Switzerland from 14th may to 22nd may 2018.

We will be visiting Zurich ,Grinddelwald , Lucern,,zermatt and other Mountain ranges like titlis, Pilatus Jungfrauch, matterhorn, etc

I m very confused about the clothes I should take for visiting all these places.

can anybody guide as to what clothes to take.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Pooja

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:22:13 #882758

Hello Pooja and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Maybe read this http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather.

The higher you head in altitude the colder it gets. Wearing clothes in thin layers is good.

In late May last year I was comfortable wearing a t-shirt at the top of Pilatus. But the next day it may have required an anorak.

See also http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/what-to-wear-in-switzerland-in-may or search site for similar threads.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:44:41 #882759

Thank you for prompt reply

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    21 April 2018 at 10:11:08 #882760

We have just returned from Switzerland and enjoyed blue skies for over a week. Thermals not needed at Zermatt or Gornergrat and will be warmer next month.

Wallaby

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2018 at 14:51:16 #882761

<<“We have just returned from Switzerland and enjoyed blue skies for over a week. “>>

Good to hear. It happened in 2014, also, which was great for photography. Wish that we could plan on it every year. 🙂

How long were you there?

Slowpoke

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    21 April 2018 at 20:09:02 #882762

Hello Slowpoke, we were in Zermatt for three days and Switzerland overall for 8. Started from Tirano on the BEX then the Glacier X just brilliant and followed the Gotthard route back to Milan. Plenty in between and blue skies every day. As I explained to Rockoyster earlier though, reformatted my SD card by mistake and lost all my Swiss and Northern Italy 🇮🇹 photos. Memories however are strong..

Regards Wallabybob

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2018 at 20:57:03 #882763

Hi WallabyBob-

You surely were lucky on the weather.

<<“reformatted my SD card by mistake and lost all my Swiss and Northern Italy 🇮🇹 photos. “>>

Bummer. Guess you’ll just have to go back again. 😉 Don’t count on the clear skies ………;-)

I used to do film and had one roll from near St. Moritz fall out of my pocket, somewhere. Naturally, they were the images that I most prized.

So, these days, I always carry an image card reader and something with a USB port.

I save off of the SD or CF cards to the the computer, tablet, etc., plus to a USB thumb drive every night.

Now that I take that trouble, I have never lost any of the originals, wouldn’t you know?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 2:59:04 #882764

We just got back from 11 days in Switzerland on April 21. We were in Lucerne, Interlaken, Chur (took the Bernina Express and it was sunny and hot at a glacier stop and in Tirano), Basel, and Zurich. We are from Colorado , so we were prepared for weather with layers – down jacket, rain jacket, etc. Only wore rain jacket in Lucerne and on the boat on the lake. We had lovely warm weather everywhere else. It was 82 degrees F the last few days in Basel and Zurich. We never expected to come back to Colorado with a tan, but we did. Don’t overpack for your trip but do layers if you are going up the mountains.

• The thread ‘What to wear in Switzerland in May 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.