Best town in Matter Valley for hiking on budget

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 4:06:22 #817310

Hi there!

I will be visiting the Matter Valley for a few days in early- to mid-September 2018, and am trying to decide if staying in Zermatt is the best choice or if staying elsewhere in the valley might be better. I am a 26 year old female traveling solo and will be on a bit of budget, so am looking to spend under $100 per night on lodging (ideally under $80).

My main focus will be hiking, and exploring the mountains in the area via moderate hikes and cable car. I’m not interested in restaurants or nightlife, and would like to be within a 15 minute walk of a reasonably priced grocery store.

Do you think Zermatt is the best town to stay in, or would another town be a better fit for what I’m looking for? Also, any specific hotel recommendations in my price range would be appreciated 🙂

Thank you for all your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    17 July 2018 at 8:36:35 #891634

Hi Ajo123

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Staying in Zermatt will save you the approach time. If you are travelling solo, and on budget, go to the Youth Hostel (now called Hostelling International as you don’t have to be “young” to stay there). I know the Zermatt one only from outside, but I have stayed recently at HI hostels in Switzerland, and enjoyed it.

Check out all details on their website: http://www.hihostels.com/host els/zermatt-youth-hostel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 9:27:13 #891635

Hi Ajo123,

We have some hotel recommendations for Zermatt on our Zermatt page: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zermatt/hotels – there are 2 (including the hostel) that fit your budget category.

Shared rooms at the hostel will work for your budget of under 80chf. The Hotel Tannenhof is under 100 for private rooms I believe.

You could look at Täsch as well as it isn’t too far from Zermatt. Going further away does lead to increased travel time via buses and trains if you want to focus on the mountains near Zermatt and the Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 July 2018 at 14:16:06 #891636

Thank you both so much for your feedback! It sounds like Zermatt is probably the best option for exploring the Matterhorn, and I’m glad to know I will be able to find a room within my budget 🙂

This does bring me to one additional question; like most tourists probably do, I had been focusing on the Matterhorn as a must-see in the region. I would definitely like to do at least a day trip to Zermatt and hike to a good view of the Matterhorn, but is there another area in the Valais that has nice hiking and would be good to consider making my home base instead?

Thank you again!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    17 July 2018 at 14:43:28 #891637

Of course. The first time I went to Paris, I went to Eiffel Tower; the first time I went to New York, I went up to the Empire State Building. Now in Paris I prefer book stores or a visit into the sewer system (yes, yes…), and in New York I enjoy Brooklyn Bridge Park, or the Queensboro Bridge. So you want to see the Matterhorn, fine! Beware, however, that the weather might not play along. I attach three photos of the Matterhorn, from my Zermatt weekend a month ago.

And in your next visit, you may elect to go two valleys further west, in the Hérens Valley (Val d’Hérens), view the Dent Blanche and the Dent d’Hérens (these two are, along the Matterhorn, part of the Big Three of the Valais Alps). Stay at a modest hotel in Les Haudères, or at the more pricey Belle Epoque style Hotel Kurhaus in Arolla.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 July 2018 at 22:17:50 #891638

Hi Snowman –

Great pics!. The first and the last are interesting compositions.

Oh, by the way, did you say that there was a famous mountain around there, somewhere, lost in the clouds? ;-(

Slowpoke

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    21 July 2018 at 15:47:47 #891639

Have you thought about bringing a tent and camping? Way cheaper than a hotel plus great views from camp every day! There are campgrounds in and around Zermatt.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2018 at 0:00:28 #891640

Thanks again all for your helpful info 🙂

Debra, I was initially thinking about camping when I was first planning my trip however I’ll be limited to a small carry-on during this trip so I won’t be able to pack my tent, sleeping bag/pad, or any of my other camping gear. I’ll have to save that for my next trip when I can pack a little heavier 🙂

Snowman, those are fantastic pictures! Luckily for this trip I am able to travel without a schedule and am hoping this will allow me to wait out the weather if it doesn’t play along. I’m from Seattle, so I am unfortunately well acquainted with finicky weather!

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 July 2018 at 0:38:46 #891641

Bring your Seattle Sombrero 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Best town in Matter Valley for hiking on budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.