What ticket to be used with Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Jackeytsue
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2018 at 10:00:47 #815675

Hi all, newbie here seeking some advice 🙂 Thank you very much in advance.

Will start our 1st Swiss trip for 10 nights as below (already confirmed itinerary with accommodation paid for)

2018-05-25 16:00 hours Arrival at Zurich airport and go straight to Wengen

2018-05-26 to 2018-05-31 Daily excursions in the vicinity of Wengen (going up to at least one selected mountain top like Jungfrau or Schlithorn) (Easy hikes to Murren, Schynige Platte, Grindelwald, Mannlichen, First) (Village/town walks + boat cruise around Interlaken, Brienz, Thun) subject to weather or physical conditions & mood of my mrs

2018-06-01 10:00 hours Take off to leave Wengen for Luzern, check in Old Town hotel and walk around nearby

2018-06-02 to 2018-06-03 Mt. Rigi or Pilatus, Lake Lucerne, a couple museums or city attractions

2018-06-04 16:30 hours Flight back to UK (Luton)

It’s part of our 20th Anniversary trip. Already purchased Swiss Half Fare Card (SHFC) for both of us. I’m wondering what is the best ticket option to put on top?

(1) Jungfrau Regional Pass for 6 days to be used 2018-05-26 to 2018-05-31 ?The rest simply purchase discounted tickets (from SHFC) for each trip?

(2) What exactly is the Jungfrau Region Pass different from Berner Oberland Regional Pass?

(3) Also is it feasible to integrate or store the SHFC into the SBB App in our iphones? Because it’s kind of clumsy to present three different things (ID + SHFC + ticket) for inspection…

Thank you very much and look forward to hearing your replies/advice!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 15:08:31 #883931

Hi Jackeytsue and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It is the Jungfrau Travel Pass you mean I think.
      This could work yes. To know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂
    2. You can check a PDF map that shows the coverage for both rail passes below:
      https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland/validity
      https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrautravelpa ss/validity
    3. Not at this time no. The SBB App has the Swiss Pass login and other travel cards that can be integrated together but this is specific to Swiss residents.
    Jackeytsue
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 May 2018 at 5:34:36 #883932

Thanks Lucas, I’d go with the 6-day JTP then.

Do ticket prices fluctuate in no particular pattern? Having browsed the web and read a lot of info, I’m still confused.

Any advantage to buy in advance the one-way tickets for (i) Zurich to Wengen on Day 1 (ii) Lucerne to Zurich airport on Day 11?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 May 2018 at 5:42:36 #883933

Prices don’t fluctuate in Switzerland. They are consistently high. 😎

The advantage to buying on-line in advance is to avoid queuing at the station or if you are buying a Saver Day Pass which will work out cheaper than a point to point Zurich to Wengen ticket for you if you can get one at the best price of CHF52.

A Saver Day Pass would also save you money on a Rigi Round Trip but not Pilatus.

• The thread ‘What ticket to be used with Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.