Rail pass options? 4 days in Switzerland early May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:03:29 #814762

I will be arriving in Zurich from France by train with my 21 year old daughter on May 06. We will take the train to Lucerne and spend May 07 and 08 in Lucerne. We intend to take the Gotthard Panorama Express in first class to Lugano. Spend the night of May 09 in Lugano and take the train to Milan. What type of rail pass do you recommend for us? Our tickets from Paris to Zurich have already been bought.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:35:17 #878768

Hello ceugenia,

It depends what you plan to do by way of mountain excursions and other train trips.

You can work out what sort of a pass would work best for you (if any) by working through “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

The Tell Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass) covers just about everything in Lucerne and will get you as far as Göschenen on the way to Lugano. If you need a ticket from Lucerne to Zug before the Tell Pass becomes valid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 6:52:35 #878769

Thank you Rockoyster! Another question, I tried to purchase the reservation for the Gotthard Panorama Express from Fluelen to Lugano for May 09 last week and my payment kept failing to go through. I am in the USA. Today I tried a payment from the same website and it went through, but the cost was now 33 CHF per reservation, up from 24 CHF last week. The confirmation called it passholder fares. Can someone confirm with mw that the reservation went up, or did I just buy the train ticket?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 7:20:35 #878770

>> I tried to purchase the reservation for the Gotthard Panorama Express from Fluelen to Lugano for May 09 last week and my payment kept failing to go through. I am in the USA. Today I tried a payment from the same website and it went through, but the cost was now 33 CHF per reservation, up from 24 CHF last week. The confirmation called it passholder fares. Can someone confirm with mw that the reservation went up, or did I just buy the train ticket?

A reservation for the whole trip on the Gotthard Panorama Express costs CHF 24. It has not gone up. CHF 33 is not enough for the full fare.

A reservation on the Glacier Express costs CHF 33 at that time of year. Have you accidentally bought that instead?

Which website did you buy it from?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 14:25:17 #878771

I bought the reservation tickets from HappyRail. They seem to have pretty good customer service and have already sent me the etickets. Their website is more user friendly.

• The thread ‘Rail pass options? 4 days in Switzerland early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.