What”s open & what”s not in Switzerland June 2020

• Tone
    Participant
    26 posts
    16 March 2020 at 5:56:30 #825459

Hi everyone,

Thanks for doing a great job of keeping us updated as much as you can.

We are still planning to head to Switzerland at the very beginning of June unless flight cancellations or other restrictions prevent us from travelling. We are hoping things may have improved by then but if not I was wondering if there is a list or website I can access that shows which cable cars & attractions etc are closed because of the virus.

Keep up the wonderful work you are doing.

Tone

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2020 at 6:20:31 #931440

Hello Tone,

Thanks a lot for your appreciation of this site and everybody’s work put into it!

The current situation is absolutely unique so as you say, it’s really hard to know how things are going to develop.

Are you keeping an eye on the links provided in this thread:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

I’ve tried to find an overview of affected mountain transport, but I believe the situation is so instable at the moment that it hasn’t been set up yet. However, most of the “own” pages of the destinations DO provide information. I would recommend googling each destination, or alternatively, using the page below for cable cars to find each company’s webpage:
    http://www.seilbahnen.org/de/Service/Seilbahn-Suche

If I find anything providing an overview I will of course post it, and I’m positive that other members will, too.

Take care and best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2020 at 0:25:38 #931441

Any transport link that connects to a ‘town’ is likely to operate in some form. In Switzerland some mountain communities are access by ‘mountain railway’ – these ‘real’ communities will still need to be served. Purely ‘touristic’ mountain destinations will be closed – possibly for a long time.

Unless you have a good knowledge of Switzerland (which I do have personally but don’t have the time just now to document it) it is not easy to distinguish between the two, but as examples:

vital: Riederalp, Rigi (some hamlets), Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren, Zermatt

not vital: Gornergrat, Klein Matterhorn, Jungfraujoch, Pilatus, Titlis

although across Europe even transport of the ‘normal’ type is closing down

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    17 March 2020 at 4:30:39 #931442

Hello Tone,

<< We are still planning to head to Switzerland at the very beginning of June unless flight cancellations or other restrictions prevent us from travelling. >> With all the uncertainty in Switzerland today, and with a mobilization of the army unprecedented since the start of World War II back in 1939, why not just cut your losses, wipe the slate clean, and start planning for a time, hopefully not too far off, when there will be an all clear for travel to and in Switzerland ? I just don’t think that early June is far off enough. Of course, I’d love to be wrong on this one, but fear that I am not. If you understand French, the March 16 7:30 PM news from RTS will perhaps give you a clearer picture of what is happening and not happening: http://www.rts.ch/play/tv/19h30/video/19h30?id=11169142

Tone
    Participant
    26 posts
    17 March 2020 at 5:27:06 #931443

Thanks Steph, 1960man & Perterli,

Possibly we are living in hope more than anything but at this point in time we can only watch things unfold. It is certainly looking less & less likely so we will probably reassess in about a month as hopefully we will have a clearer picture as to whether things are getting better or worse. As it is our only window for travel then if it can’t happen this year then hopefully airlines & accommodation places will be open to moving our dates 12 months ahead. Keep up the good work & stay safe.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2020 at 5:33:15 #931444

Hello Tone,

I think that’s the right attitude, we simply ALL DON’T KNOW at the moment.

Thanks for your appreciation of the forum, stay well and safe too and fingers crossed for everybody, that the situation may improve soon…

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2020 at 23:40:12 #931445

Maybe it is time to amend the forum rules, temporarily (we hope). Perhaps questions about dated trips could be barred, and only general questions, ie related to pure geography and the like allowed for the time being.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 March 2020 at 0:37:49 #931446

<<“Maybe it is time to amend the forum rules”>>

Why?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2020 at 15:02:41 #931447

Hi 1960man and Slowpoke,

I understand it is difficult and also a bit humdrum (maybe even disappointing) to answer these questions from time to time. So I really appreciate the effort you give to help other forum members.

Thank you,

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 March 2020 at 15:49:18 #931448

Hello again,

<< if it can’t happen this year then hopefully airlines & accommodation places will be open to moving our dates 12 months ahead. >> I think it would be a good idea to contact all the places where you have already put up a deposit or full payment and ask them what their policies are, and also if there are any delays (like number of days in advance) for when a cancellation can be made. Just a thought. It would be a shame to unnecessarily miss any deadlines. As I stated in another thread, I would like to believe that they will know that these are extraordinary times and act accordingly.

• The thread ‘What”s open & what”s not in Switzerland June 2020’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.