What”s the best rail pass for Switzerland & Europe

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 10:44:43 #810926

Hi,

Im planning on visiting swiss from venice and stay in swiss for 4-5 days before i continue my travel to amsterdam and back to rome (and fly back to my home country in indonesia). Is it better to choose eurorail instead of swiss travel pass? I still dont have fixed ideas which part of swiss i want to explore more. Can anyone suggest? Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2017 at 16:51:08 #859460

Hi Valsherly,

The best parts if Switzerland for you depends on what you want to see and do while you are here.
    Here is a page on itinerary planning to help you get started. Furthermore, here is a list of ideas of what to see and do in Switzerland. You can note where the attractions are, where to stay nearby and how to get there on each information page. For example, here is the page on Jungfraujoch – a top attraction in Switzerland.

Once you have an idea of what you want to see and do we can help you to choose the best places to stay or visit while you are here.

For help choosing the best rail pass click here. Depending on how many train trips you do outside of Switzerland and within, you may decide getting the Eurail Select Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass is best – or just doing point to point tickets instead, along with a Swiss Half-Fare Card etc.

I hope that helps get you started. Feel free to ask more questions once you have a rough itinerary planned!

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2017 at 17:21:59 #859461

Hi Lucas, thanks for your advice.

Here is my rough itinerary from 14 – 29 May. I am going with my husband.

14 Rome

15-16 Florence

17-18 Cinque Terre

19-20 Venice

21-23 Wengen (explore Jugfrau Region and kandersteg)

24-25 Lucern

26-27 Montreux

28 Rome

1. I am planning to get Golden Pass from Lucerne to Montreux. Is it possible that way? Or is it only from Montreux to Lucerne?

2. I am thinking on choosing eurail pass for 2 countries, italy-switzerland for 11 days within 2 months (pass saver). Is it worth it? is the pass allow me to get any train in italy and switzerland (except the Jungfraujoh, if I am not mistaken). I am planning to take a flight from Geneva to Rome (still cheap last time I checked).

Pls advice about the eurail pass. And maybe another suggestion if I want to use the most benefit of the eurail pass (I read that glacier express is free to using the pass, but am having difficulty in putting the route in my itinerary).

3. And one more question, if i buy 2nd class pass, is it possible to upgrade on 1st class ticket for certain route, for example for golden pass line?

Hope to hearing from you. Thanks a lot.

best regards,

sherly

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 March 2017 at 19:25:39 #859462

Hi Shirley,

I’ll try to answer your questions:

1. Sure, no problem.

2. Please see the Eurail Select Pass page linked by Lucas, and particularly the “Where it’s valid section”. The map allows you to see what’s included so you can see if it’s worth it for you. Yes, the Glacier Express is free, except for the seat reservation.

Montreux to Rome is easily done by train in 6 to 7 hours with only one change in Milan. With a Eurail Select Pass for Switzerland and Italy this trip is free, apart from reservations. If your pass is no longer valid on that day you can find tickets through the websites listed on myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price. I didn’t check all sites but found prices from € 88. If you book Montreux – Milan and Milan – Rome as separate tickets you may find even lower prices.

3. Yes, you can always buy an upgrade ticket for any route (unless there are no trains with 1st class). With a Swiss Travel Pass you would only pay half the price difference between 2nd and 1st class. I don’t know if that applies to Eurail passes too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 9:46:49 #859463

Hi Arno,

i wonder if i choose swiss travel pass, which part of the route between montreux to rome will be covered by the pass? Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 12:39:05 #859464

Hi Valsherly,

The Swiss Travel Pass only covers trips within Switzerland. See map of validity here.
    The train should travel through Domodossola and you will need to buy a ticket from there to Rome.

You can check train schedules and routes here.

Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:03:09 #859465

Hi Lucas,

can you pls give me suggestion about 2 days itinerary in jungfrau region? I will be staying in wengen for 3 nights but decided to visit natur blausse park and kandesterg on the third day. I would like to visut jungfrajoch and dont mind to have a couple easy hike or walking trail. Can you pls suggest the best 2 days itinerary? Thanks

sherly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 8:04:05 #859466

Hi Sherly,

Have a look at our what to do in Wengen Page for activity and hiking suggestions. I would plan most of one day from Jungfraujoch and the 2nd day perhaps the Staubbach Fall to Lauterbrunnen hike would work nicely for you and explore Lauterbrunnen as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 10:35:22 #859467

Dear Lucas,

I am planning on starting my jungfrau exploration from wengen to mannlichen to take panorama trail to kleine scheidegg. From there continue to jungfraujoch. After that take train to grindelwald and take cable car to first and take a look first cliff walk and continue a walking trail to lake bachalpsee. Last is to return to grindelwald and back to wengen. Is it doable in one day, considering i will start the day on 8.30 am as the earliest cable car to manlichen is on 8.30? What time is the latest cable car from first to grindelwald? Is there any website to check the timetable? Thanks.

sherly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 18:25:15 #859468

Hi Sherly,

Hmm it may be a little tight and you may decide you don’t want to do that while you are there – which is fine. I think it is doable as long as you keep an eye on times and schedules. Hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is about 1.5 hours and the hike from First to Bachsee and back is about 2.5 hours but it all depends on your abilities and energy!

The last cable car from First to Grindelwald is 17:30 – you can check all schedules on the SBB timetable here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:55:22 #859469

Dear lucas,

I wonder about the swiss 1-day pass which i can get with the purchase of swiss half fare pass. For example i have the half fare pass. That means i get the half fare for train to jungfraujoch, right? And the 1-day pass bonus include train from grindelwald or wengen to jungfraujoch get 50% off. How is that a benefit? I am so confused. Pls guide. Many thanks.

Regards,

Sherly

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 10:40:12 #859470

Both passes offer the same 50% discount to Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald or Wengen (no pass gets you free to Jungfraujoch). So there is no advantage to buying the one day travel pass for Jungfraujoch if you are starting in Wengen (or Grindelwald) if you already have the Swiss Half fare card.

I hope that clears up the confusion. 🙂

• The thread ‘What”s the best rail pass for Switzerland & Europe’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.