When should I buy the Swiss Travel Pass?

• rahmanr67
    Participant
    12 posts
    17 March 2018 at 0:10:43 #814813

We will be landing in Zurich on April 26th afternoon and after going through Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt, Montreux, Geneva we shall head to Milan (Italy) on May 8th followed by returning to Canada on May 12th morning.

I am wondering when should I buy the Swiss Travel passes for the family along with Rail Europe tickets for Italy travelling?

I saw somewhere on the forum NOT to buy the passes/tickets 1 month before travelling time……

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 2:02:36 #879010

Hello rahmanr67,

Maybe you read you can’t buy Swiss train tickets more than 1 month ahead of travel?

If you buy the Swiss Travel Pass on-line and print at home you can get it closer to your travel date although there is a promotion on at present (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns).

On-line delivery by PDF is generally very quick. Once you have your pass you will most likely not need any other tickets or reservations in Switzerland based on your outlined itinerary. Certainly not tickets bought in advance.

From your trip to Milan the Swiss Travel Pass will cover you to the Swiss border at Domodossola.

You can make your Italian reservation and buy tickets as soon as your plans are firm. They tend to be cheaper in advance. See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 0:30:45 #879011

We just bought our passes we are going in mid may . They are on sale now for a short time.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 March 2018 at 11:07:56 #879012

Welcome to MySwissAlps Zittelm!

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    18 March 2018 at 23:47:26 #879013

Hi Zittelm

The link you provided shows special promotions from Eurorail? None for STP from SBB?

I am visiting Switzerland in last week of July and want to buy the STP . I would like to buy at a discount if possible when there are promotions. However I prefer to buy directly from SBB Switzerland .

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 March 2018 at 7:21:52 #879014

Hi Meeraoz,

I added a link to Zittelm’s post to allow quick access to current Swiss Travel Pass promotions (if any). So if you keep an eye on that page you’ll be able to check if you can buy at a discount. Discounts are rare though. The passes are usually offered for the normal price.

All purchase options are listed on http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. That list includes the SBB tourist web shop as well, but SBB does not offer promotions very often.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    19 March 2018 at 9:41:34 #879015

Hi Arno

Many thanks for the link to the web page with options.

I did a quick check of STP 15 continuous/ 15 consecutive days prices.

In swiss frances SBB is 485, happy rail is 480 and raileurope oz site quote is 538 (quote is 730 aussie dollars). Raileurope price is high to begin ie 55 swiss francs more ( about 75 aussie dollars).

Their promo code of $130 aussie dollars in effect means only around 55 dollars saving.

Tried live chat help on raileurope oz website. Agents are not very helpful (my experience just now)

Thought of sharing this with you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 March 2018 at 8:22:14 #879016

Hi Meera,

Yes indeed, Rail Europe prices for Swiss rail prices are often higher than several other websites, and they fluctuate due to exchange rates. On the other hand you can pay in your own currency and avoid bank fees, if any. Anyway, with the promo you will save money. It helps to do the math in each case, as you did. Thanks for sharing! Prices change, promotions come and go.

Meeraoz
    Participant
    46 posts
    21 March 2018 at 9:28:16 #879017

Hi Arno

I did the sums by factoring in a 3% credit card foreign conversion fee that my bank charges. Even then Happy Rail fare is the cheapest among the 3 by 5 swiss francs and 6 oz dollars!

Ganguly
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:21:33 #879018

I have a question about the Tell Pass. Will it cover Mt. Titlis and Mt. Pilatus round trip or one way?Can I buy the pass at Luzern train station on Saturday or Sunday?

I

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:27:11 #879019

Tell Pass covers round trips to both mountains.

Yes you can buy at Lucerne any day.

Ganguly
    Participant
    2 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:29:22 #879020

Thank you very much! Can I buy the ticket at the Tourist Information Office at the train station? Do you know when it’s open?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 March 2018 at 19:44:10 #879021

Not sure about the TIO but manned ticket sales are open 6:40 to 20:00 Sat and Sun.

• The thread ‘When should I buy the Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.