When purchasing tickets learn from my mistake

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 19:50:01 #812294

The experts on this forum are amazing and I so appreciate all of the advice. I purchased a 15 day Swiss Pass and other reservations from Happy Rail. The company was very helpful and responded quickly. My head was so filled with what/when about travel I failed to read they charge in Euro rather than CHF. It is entirely my fault that I have spent $$ more than I could have. At the age of 77 one would think I would have been more aware. Hope this helps someone. Now no Candy or Cheese for me, smiling. Thanks for all of your assistance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 6:40:05 #865237

Best Walktravel,

But Euro 1.00 is Chf 1.08

That is not a great different.

Nice hollyday in Switserland.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 June 2017 at 7:06:37 #865238

Hi Waktravel,

Thanks for your post! Yes, comparing prices can indeed pay off. You’ll find the retailers listed on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price for you to compare. I’m not sure when exactly you ordered but this might have been just bad luck time wise. About a week ago raileurope.com offered very low pass prices AND a promotion. So if you’ve been comparing with them they were indeed cheaper than anyone else. A few days later their prices went up and now they only have the promotion for 13 more days. A 15 day pass is currently $19 more with Rail Europe than Happyrail, so things can change quickly. Happyrail offers very competitive prices on average, but they could not match the temporary low Rail Europe prices plus the promotion I guess.

Happy travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 8:42:26 #865239

>> Now no Candy or Cheese for me

Candy, cheese – and especially chocolate – are EXACTLY what you need at times like these 😉

I’m trying to work out how you made the mistake.

On the Swiss Railways Official Ticket Shop, the 15-day 1st class Swiss Travel Pass is CHF 722.00.

On the Happy Rail site the same pass is 657,00 Euro.

So did you just compare the numbers and pick the lower one without realising it was in a different currency?

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘When purchasing tickets learn from my mistake’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.