When to buy train ticket Zurich airport to Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 20:13:28 #822754

I am flying in with a group of 8 from London to Zurich on July 16, then taking the train directly to Wengen, via Bern. I do not know which train I will take. If I buy tickets ahead of time can they be used for any train that day, or do I have to buy them for a specific train at a specific time. If flexible on the time I would consider buying them ahead of time so that I do not have to in Zurich upon arrival. Also hesitant to pre-purchase as I am not sure if we will go through Lucerne, or Bern, it may be weather dependent, and how long it takes us to get through the airport. I am buying half fare pass ahead of time and printing at home prior to leaving for London this Friday.

Same question applies for July 20 when we train from Wengen to Lausanne. Any thoughts appreciated. Have not seen this addressed elsewhere. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 July 2019 at 21:15:32 #917378

A regular ticket (as opposed to a Supersaver fare) is valid for a given route for an entire day. Take any train on that route. Going to Wengen via Bern is a different route to going via Luzern so you have to at least decide on the route you plan to take before buying the ticket.

For Wengen to Lausanne you might want to consider the scenic Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass).

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 11:16:39 #917379

Thank you for your reply–this is helpful. I do have the SBB App and plan on purchasing tickets via that. I have not yet decided on the route from Zurich to Wengen yet–that may be dependent on the weather and what time we actually get into Zurich, get bags etc, and how much time we want to spend on the train. I know the trip through Luzerne takes longer than through Bern. Same for the trip from Wengen to Lausanne. GoldenPass would be great, but know it takes longer and if mountains are covered in clouds not sure it is worth it. Any thoughts on that? Also understand if I buy the Half Fare pass ahead of time and print at home I have to get it validated upon arrival at the airport in Zurich–is that correct?

Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2019 at 13:15:17 #917380

Hi Btorelli1963,

I would definitely travel via the Golden Pass route to Wengen unless there was fog all over. Even if it’s cloudy the scenery will still be better than the quicker route. It is indeed 60 to 90 minutes longer.

One of the advantages of buying passes in advance is that you can skip the ticket office; no validation is needed. Just print the pass and store the PDF on your phone (not required but handy). Swiss half Fare Card purchase options are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 23:37:59 #917381

However, if you have a valid half fare card beforehand you can also skip the ticket office by using ticket machines. They are quite easy to use and allow you to delay a route decision until the last minute

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 0:36:03 #917382

In addition to Rockoyster’s excellent comments, please note that for those journeys you can easily buy tickets upon arrival in Switzerland, with very little delay. 1960man added his valuable perspective as I was writing this.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘When to buy train ticket Zurich airport to Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.