Where are Swiss souvenirs made?

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    7 October 2017 at 10:24:51 #813458

Just a trivia question. As an American, it is apparently a Federal law that all retail merchandise have the country of origin marked somewhere. In Switzerland I saw nothing. None of the small items like keychains, coffee cups, stuffed animals, Canton wappen stickers or clothing are marked. Migros and Coop have an aisle with these tourist items and none are marked. Even some cheap watches do not say Swiss Made on the bottom of the face. Is everything made in China that is less than SF 20 like the US? I have seen that some of the tiny, inexpensive music boxes have a Japanese or Chinese movement. You have open up the largest blade on a Swiss Army Knife to be sure it’s a Victorinix. I purchased a woman’s blouse with a Swiss motif for 100 Francs at Schweizer Heimatwerk and there is no marking on the collar label. Maybe it doesn’t matter but it would be interesting to know.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 October 2017 at 20:28:56 #870709

<<“I purchased a woman’s blouse with a Swiss motif for 100 Francs at Schweizer Heimatwerk and there is no marking on the collar label.”>>

That one will be Swiss-made. 😉 And, Swiss-priced…;-(

Likely, there is a substantial degree of correlation.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2017 at 7:40:20 #870710

Good question. I wouldn’t know either unless it says on the item.

As Slowpoke notes, the higher priced items are almost certainly Swiss-made. 🙂

I’ve noticed a few souvenirs are from/by a company called splasharts – website here.

• The thread ‘Where are Swiss souvenirs made?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.