Where do lake cruises begin in Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 10:35:27 #820453

Hello everyone,

Posting this question after a good bit of research on the forum but still couldn’t get my answer.

During out stay in Interlaken,

We intend to do lake Thun cruise combined with St Beatus Cave on one day and Lake Brienz on another day.

However I couldn’t find details on where do these cruise start .

Can you please help with the name of the dock for both Thun and Brienz ?

Thanks

Rohan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 12:49:03 #906803

Hello Rohan,

Nice to see you’re getting along with your planning.

You will need to search the stations “Interlaken Ost (See)”, “Interlaken West (See)”, “Beatushöhlen”, “Thun (See) and “Brienz (See)” to find the available boats for your plans.

You can use our advanced timetable in this link to find conntection:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You will find these stops on google maps too, both located close to the rail stations Interlaken Ost and West.

For detailed online and pdf timetables and maps go here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atla kebrienz/gettingthere
    http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atla kethun/gettingthere

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 March 2019 at 1:07:13 #906804

Check the boat icons:

map.search.ch/?pos=632644,170780&z=12 8&poi=haltestelle

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 1:16:11 #906805

Boats going west (Thunersee) berth adjacent to Interlaken West railway station. boats going East (Brienzersee) berth just north (about 60 metres) of Interlaken Ost station

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 March 2019 at 7:11:26 #906806

Forgot to note-

If you mouse over the icons on that map, which you can turn on or off in the menu ( the star in a circle, then Traffic) ) you get the official name for that stop/station.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 14:22:37 #906807

Thank you Stephi, Slowpoke, 1960man.

I was confused because google maps wouldnt show me boat routes. Even after selecting the correct start and end points, it forcefully routes me thru either train or bus but atleast now I know where to go to start the cruise. 🙂

@Slowpoke – map.search.ch/?pos=632644,170780&z=12 8&poi=haltestelle

This link was very helpful. Neat discovery for me.

I also happened to find the below link which is the time table and boat deployment plan

http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

But honestly it is confusing to read.

I am not able to figure how many types of cruise are available and the time take for each of the round trip so that I could plan the rest of my day.

As I wrote before, I have pretty much 1 day each marked lake Thun and lake Trienz. I had decided to cover St Beatus caves along with Thun cruise but the map shows that I reach there in 30 minutes which makes me wonder if I can do a longer cruise on that day .

Similarly, on second day we plan to visit ballenberg open museum along with the Lake Brienz Cruise.

If you could help with recommendations on what cruise can I opt for and the approx time taken for the round trip,that will be of great help.

Thanks

Rohan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 March 2019 at 14:34:48 #906808

Hi Rohan –

The timetable explanation page that Steph linked has the answer. It pays to read that whole page.

<<“Further options (advanced timetable)

The timetable will show you the quickest way to get from point A to B, unless you force it to display a specific route by entering a via-location. Click “Change” and “Advanced search” link to refine your search. It allows you to find connections with a preferred mode of transport (e.g. just boats, no trains). It also allows you to enter more via-locations. This comes in handy if you prefer a specific scenic route instead of the quickest route.”>>

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 4:03:01 #906809

Thanks much slowpoke. Took me lot of reading to finally make up my mind on the plan on Thun.

Staying at Interlaken isnt the best thing for Lake Thun Cruise (in April) since the first boat trip starts at 12:10 which is practically at the day break. I have decided to take the bus to Beatenberg and the cable car upto Niederhorn and if time and energy permits , will visit St Beatus Caves on our way back and return by Bus.

The day after will be a full boat cruise on the Brienz.

Appreciate all your inputs

Regards

Rohan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 10:41:59 #906810

Hi Rohan –

I’ve been in the area many times, and never visited the caves. Not because I don’t like caves…I do….but because I don’t think caves are unique to Switzerland, and many other things are. So, i concentrate on things that I can’t see closer to home.

Just my point of view. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Where do lake cruises begin in Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.