Where else comparable to Lauterbrunnen Valley?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    29 September 2021 at 12:45:46 #936677

Many thanks for all this information! We were asking ourselves the same question when the pandemic started… And Kchao1213 seems to be looking for most of what we are looking for… Very inspiring!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2021 at 22:21:45 #936678

Ha ha, I spent all that effort on Graubuenden and you now want to go to Zermatt…hmm

Never fear! I have been visiting Zermatt since the early 1960s and have spent many trips there in the last 20 years – 5 or 6 consecutive years in the mid 2000 – 2010s! so ready to answer any questions you may have!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2021 at 22:24:47 #936679

UK-based readers of this forum may know (perhaps without realising it) the Riffelalp hotel as it featured heavily in an episode of ‘The Night Manager’.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 September 2021 at 6:58:54 #936680

It is indeed :-)! I loved the scenes with that beautiful and familiar scenery. Did you watch the entire series?

kchao1213
    Participant
    5 posts
    4 October 2021 at 21:03:24 #936681

@1960man – the effort wasn’t for nothing, I promise! Along with your advice, I’ve also started reading Kev Reynold’s “Walks in the Engadine” so the possibility is still there. If not next trip, then another time for sure.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration! @LeVoyageur and anyone else, feel free to carry on the discussion with your own questions as I’d be eager to see what others are considering as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2021 at 23:42:22 #936682

Yes indeed. Our family has majored on Zermatt for around 20 years. My parents found it a lovely place to go in their twilight years – Zermatt in a nutshell; them being able to walk and enjoy the views whilst younger family members were skiing (Mum and Dad used to sit in the sunshine at Riffelberg or Schwarzsee and the skiers would ‘call in’ throughout the day in between runs). Mum died in early 2020 and my Dad passed away aged 95 in January 2021 so both will now only be with us in Switzerland in spirit )

Annika
    7124 posts
    5 October 2021 at 3:55:06 #936683

I’m sorry for the recent loss of both of your parents 1960man.I can imagine that was, and still is, tough.

Zermatt must indeed be a very special place for you and your family, having spent so much time there together. I hope you can cherish those moments as beautiful memories… :-).

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    5 October 2021 at 8:23:32 #936684

Hi 1960man,

Thank you for that little bit of info, but I must admit that I am not familiar with The Night Manager…..but it must have been a great episode.

I too send my condolences on the loss of your parents. I was in Zermatt in 1973 as a little boy with my family. For two days we didn’t see the Matterhorn due to cloudy weather. On the third day, (it just so happened to be the 17th wedding anniversary of my parents) we woke up to nothing but bright sunshine and a stunning view of the Matterhorn from the balcony of Hotel Tschugge. After going up to the Gornergrat and Sunnegga, seeing only clouds (day before), we went up this morning to Schwarzee Lake and it was just beautiful. Dad asked a fellow tourist to take a photo of our family with the Matterhorn behind us. Later that year my mom had it transposed onto the Christmas cards that she sent out that year. Those memories are cherished by both of my sisters and folks to this day. When I went back in 2018, It’s hard to put into words the feeling I had when, after getting off the Glacier express, I looked up to see the tip of the Matterhorn jutting out into the sky. Forty-odd years in the making. Walking along the road paralleling the Gornergrat rail, the Matterhorn got more exposed until it came into full view under the rail trestle. Wow, what a feeling of joy I experienced!! Hopefully in two years I will get back again, and hopefully life will be back to normal for the world as well.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    6 October 2021 at 0:44:42 #936685

Hi Danielsan

I have stayed at the Riffelalp hotel twice and highly recommend it if your budget allows. It was completely refurbished only about 3-4 years ago and is beautifully appointed. It has heated large indoor and outdoor pools with a spectacular view of the Matterhorn and the huge spa area (3+floors) has 6-7 different saunas and whirlpools. As is probably common in German speaking Switzerland, clothing is optional which takes a little getting used to for Americans. The views are spectacular along the front of the hotel. My thumbnail photo was taken from my room balcony shortly after sunrise.

The hotel is ideally situated for hiking and most all of our hikes originated or ended at our hotel. We especially liked hiking from Riffelalp to Riffelsee and on to Gornergrat summit from the switchbacks on the backside of the Gornergrat. Also the hike from Riffelalp to Hidden valley is very nice. Also recommend Riffelalp to Zmutt and Riffelalp to the 5 lakes. The hotel has a concierge service that is very helpful in hiking info and routes and they will provide a guide from the hotel staff free of charge depending on availability.

For us the price was well worth the experience of a world class hotel and view. Included is 2 views from the Riffelalp

Mark

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    6 October 2021 at 1:06:36 #936686

Here are a couple photos of Hidden Valley, just across the ravine from Flualp. Also a view of Zermatt from the front of the Riffelalp hotel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2021 at 8:06:16 #936687

Hi Mark,

wonderful photos and a great description of the Riffelalp hotel. I hope that one day I will/can stay there 🙂

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us,

Take care

Ildiko

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 October 2021 at 4:03:04 #936688

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the photos. I’ve seen your picture many times on this site, not realizing it was taken at sunrise. Very nice. Thanks fof the info. Looking into hiking from Rotenboden down to Riffelalp. Looks like it’s a downhill trek. I admire your being able to go up to the Gornergrat from there. So many possibilites and places to see. I have about two years to plan. This site is amazing and I love the input from everyone. Thanks again.

Danielsan

P.S., attached is a photo I took from the Schwarzee Furgg gondala on way to Trockener Steg. Just can’t wait to get back.

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 October 2021 at 6:11:27 #936689

Hi kchao1213 and others,

Kchao1213, if you are now considering Zermatt, then I just wanted to mention that the village itself isn’t your only option. If you’re looking for something less touristy: there are several villages in the Matter valley between Visp and Zermatt: http://www.myswissalps.com/mattervalley. Most have a train stop so you’ll reach Zermatt quickly for day trips. I once stayed just outside St. Niklaus and remember huge rock walls facing our apartment. Very impressive.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The thread ‘Where else comparable to Lauterbrunnen Valley?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.