Bernese Oberland mountain photo taken

• Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    29 September 2019 at 5:50:24 #824015

I see this photo often on Instagram, but there is never an indication of EXACTLY where it is taken. I’ve only seen indicated that it is in the Bernese Oberland. I am currently here for another month. I’d really like to know where this is! Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 September 2019 at 9:02:39 #922827

Hello Gailannski,

Thanks for your beautiful photo!

I believe the photo of that mountain could have been taken from the Grindelwald region, and perhaps the Wetterhorn and the river Lütschine. However, it is hard to give you a definite answer because it is difficult to say which direction of the mountain the photo was taken. My best bet would be to send a private message on Instagram and ask them, otherwise I am sure as the day progresses there members who could also tell you where the exact location of that photo was taken.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    29 September 2019 at 17:46:54 #922828

This is taken in the Reichenbachtal (Reichenbach Valley) with the gorgeous Aare River running through the hanging valley and the Wetterhorn in the background. This is one of dozens of stunning views one can see hiking from Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg. The trail is a bit long but loosely parallels the bus route so there are a number of points where you can hop on/off and rejoin the trail. This particular bit is lovely and flat, about a mile long. I believe it’s between the Kaltenbrunnen bei Meiringen and Gschwandtenmaad bus stops but not 100% certain as I’ve always hiked it rather than catching the bus.

Here’s a more complete description of the hike, written from a Wengen base:

Meiringen to Grosse Scheidegg. This is yet another stunning all day hike with varied terrain and majestic views of the Wetterhorn and other peaks. First, take the train from Wengen to Meiringen. You should plan to arrive at Meiringen no later than 10:00 am; ask the rail station staff at Wengen to print you a timetable so you can make convenient changes at Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken.

Walk through Meiringen to the cable train up to Reichenbach Falls. (It’s fairly well marked but train station staff can also direct you.) Once you arrive at the cable train, you can take it up to the Falls (which cuts about 900 feet of vertical out of the hike) but bear in mind that the staff breaks for lunch for 2 hours beginning sometime between 11:30 and 12:00 noon during low season (usually May 5 – June 30, Sept 1 – Oct 14). More information about the lift and operating hours is at http://www.grimselwelt.ch/gri msel-experience/transport-lifts/reichenbach-funicular/ Alternatively, take the trail just behind the café and walk up. It is a lovely, fairly steep walk largely through a forested area. The Falls are quite dramatic and achieved fame as the spot where Sherlock Holmes allegedly met his fate. See more at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Reichenbach_Falls

Note: Another alternative that cuts time and vertical out of the journey (but misses Reichenbach Falls) is to take the bus (right at the train station) to Zwirgi (direction Rosenlaui/Schwarzwaldalp). This cuts about 1100 feet of total vertical ascent vs walking up the trail from under the Reichenbach Falls cable train.

If you’ve taken the lift up, a series of steep (but very wide and stable) steps will take you up to Restaurant Zwirgi. You will also pass this way if you’ve walked up and it’s a good place to stop for a drink. Continue on, following the signs to Rosenlaui/Grosse Scheidegg. You’ll have a bit more climbing to do before you come upon a large hanging valley, the Reichenbachtal, with the gorgeous Aare river running through it. The path follows the river for over a mile and you’ll have spectacular views of the Wetterhorn and other peaks. The flat terrain on this section is also a welcome relief!

DO NOT miss stopping for lunch at Rosenlaui, a beautiful old hotel with a lovely patio. (See a photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ ogil/2688599684/.) The food here is truly exceptional and presented beautifully. Plan on at least an hour for lunch and try not to eat too much, although that’s a difficult thing to do here!

After lunch, press on toward Grosse Scheidegg. There is more up and down with about 500 feet of climbing required at the very end (when it is least welcome). However, the views continue to be marvelous and the scene from atop Grosse Scheidegg is well worth your effort. Stop at the inn here for a drink (if you’ve eaten lunch at Rosenlaui you won’t be hungry!), then take the Post Bus down to Grindelwald train station. This bus ride is crazy and a real highlight! (For those of you familiar with Disneyland I liken it to one of the old E-Ticket rides.)Take the train back to Wengen via Zweilütschinen (where you will switch) and Lauterbrunnen.

This is a fairly aggressive hike covering about 4400 feet of vertical (or 3300 to 3500 feet if you’ve taken the bus to Zwirgi or the lift up the Falls, respectively) and ten miles. A quick pace will yield walking time of 5 – 6 hours without public transport assists, 3.5 – 4 hours with. Of course, this excludes travel, meals, breaks and gawking stops. All the travel getting to and from the trail makes it sound like a big hassle, but the connections are really quite easy and the hike is definitely worth it.

This is also a great hike if you have a group of people with varying levels of hiking ability. After you reach the Restaurant Zwirgi atop the Falls, the trail intersects a road serviced by Post Bus at four different spots. Less aggressive hikers can take the lift to the top of the Falls, take the steps up, catch the bus at Restaurant Zwirgi, get off at the next stop, then walk to Rosenlaui (this is the flattest section of the hike). After lunch, walk from Rosenlaui to Schwarzwaldalp (another relatively flat section), then catch the Post Bus from Schwarzwaldalp to Grosse Scheidegg.

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    29 September 2019 at 18:27:26 #922829

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed information! So appreciated. I will surely look into this and try this hike. Thank you again!

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    4 October 2019 at 15:52:04 #922830

Dear Kim11,

Thank you again for your detailed information about hiking to Rosenlaui. We went yesterday as it was a gorgeous, clear day and the fresh snow on the mountains made it extra spectacular! As my husband and I are in our 60’s, we chose to take the funicular up to the Reichenbach Falls, then hiked to the Restaurant Zwirgi. Picked up the bus there for 1 stop and hiked to the Rosenlaui hotel for lunch – great recommendation! As it was getting later and legs were tired, we took the bus to Schwarzwaldalp and spent 1 hour, then bus to Grosse Scheidegg and spent 1 hour there, before taking the bus down to Grindelwald.

It really was a spectacular day and we will go back someday to do more parts of this hike. Probably for our next visit…. 😊

photos.app.goo.gl/NMmX DM7DhyQQAwXP8

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 October 2019 at 18:44:31 #922831

Thanks so much for the report and the gorgeous pictures! Looks like you got “the shot” that set you on this journey to begin with. And, yes, the new snow really puts it over the top.

That Rosenlaui is really something. Everything is always so artfully arranged and absolutely delicious. Glad you could make the stop!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 October 2019 at 18:56:29 #922832

Great photos. I am in Neuchâtel and can’t believe how the snow cover on the Alps has increased since we were in Grindelwald just over two weeks ago. The view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau from the Chateau in Neuchâtel is impressive in late afternoon on a clear sunny day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2019 at 7:19:49 #922833

Hi Rockoyster –

<<“The view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau from the Chateau in Neuchâtel is impressive in late afternoon on a clear sunny day.”>>

I’m sure that it is. Were you able to get a photograph that adequately captures the impression that your eyes and brain recorded mentally?

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 October 2019 at 7:34:26 #922834

Mais oui bien sûr . . .

but you must patiently await my trip report.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 October 2019 at 7:41:49 #922835

<<“but you must patiently await my trip report.”>>

Thank you for your wise and thoughtful counsel.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland mountain photo taken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.