Where spend 1N after 8N in Lucern/Wengen, June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 4:13:37 #821577

Hi! I am traveling with my 9 year old daughter to Switzerland in late June/early July. Where should we spend 1N (night) after 8Ns in Lucern and Wengen?

Our plan is to spend 4 nights in Lucern (Lucern city sites, Mt Pilatus, Emmental Cheese Factory, Mt Titlis) and then 4 nights in Wengen (walk from Mannlichen, walk to Bachalpsee, Jungfrau, Schilthorn, Stechelberg walk to Lauterbrunnen).

We will be leaving from Wengen and will have one night/2 full days left in our trip (though will need to get back to Zurich). We are in Switzerland to see the Alps and the beautiful scenery, but I think we will have seen a lot of this in the first eight days. Where do you recommend we should go?

Zermatt: We would love to see something as iconic as the Matterhorn from Zermatt. However, is it distinctive enough an experience from Jungfrau and Schilthorn? Is the scenery along the Glacier Express much different from that along the Golden Pass from Lucern to Interlaken? Is it worth taking a chance on the weather for only two days (though in early July)

Montreux: We would probably look to explore Montreux, and walk to Chillon Castle. Next day go to Gruyere castle/Maison Cailler chocolates/La Maison due Gruyere cheese factory. (Just curious, where would we keep our luggage as we would be heading back to Zurich at the end of the day!) Will the cheese and chocolate factory visits around July 3 be way too crowded? Are these factory visits really just like going to M&M world (ie just a place to buy cheese and chocolates!)?

Bern: city sites, old town, bear park

Wengen: stay the extra night in Wengen

Zurich: Go back to Zurich to see the city and lake properly

Is there anywhere that people would suggest that are their favorite places in Switzerland (for one night/2 days)!?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 11:59:37 #912123

Hello,

I am not an expert yet but also heading to Switzerland for 2 weeks with my daughter, 10 years old, early July so I am following your threads as they are helping me figure out the details.

Regarding luggage storage at Montreux, I read the following:

There is a left luggage office in Montreux you can use as well as lockers. Read more about luggage options at SBB. Click the link for station and services at the top and search for Montreux for the operating hours of the office and prices/sizes of the lockers.

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Note that the jazz festival takes place in Montreux in July which could add another dimension to your visit.

Good luck with your planning. You are way ahead of me!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 13:15:00 #912124

Hello Seeyoubye,

All of the options you mention are nice ones and do-able, please use our timetable to find out in detail about traveling times, which might influence your decision. Make sure you read how it works, it’s an invaluable tool for planning any trip in Switzerland.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

I personally think I would opt for the option of Bern or Zurich, offering you some variety to the days spend in Lucerne and Wengen and preventing you from travelling too much (should this be an issue). You will find things to do in the two places in the “What to do” tab of below links, and the same for the other destinations if you search for them in the search bar.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
    http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

Get back for further support if needed.

Best,
    Steph

ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    12 May 2019 at 14:02:43 #912125

Hi Seeyoubye,

Seing that you will travel with your 9 year old daughter , maybe you could try one of these:

If you decide to spend the extra night in Wengen , one of those days you could adventure in the Hasliberg region, going to Meiringen and taking your daughter on the Muggestutzweg (Dwarf Trail) . I think she’ll love it (as did my sons, so much so, that they asked us to include this trail again, the next holiday). The first trail starts in Magisalp and ends in Bidmi. You take the cable car up from Meiringen to Reuti and then the gondola. Be sure to take the walnut from the cablecar station, it will be used later on the trail. You could first go all the way up to Alpen Tower to admire the views and then come down to Magisalp to start the trail. It is a trail which tells the adventures of the dwarfs Muggestutz and Raurinde and their friends. There are stations along the way which keep the kids entertained and interested – a pinecone drying station, a walnut slide, an eagle swing, dwarf houses with furniture inside, a labyrinth, etc… There is also a crystal to be found in one small cave. There is also a second trail, just a little bit further, from Kaserstatt to Lischen, which continues their adventures. The second time we went there, we knew to start earlier and so were able to do both in one day. But if you only have time to do one, choose the first.

If you decide to spend the extra night in Luzern , one of those days you could go again to Engelberg (as for Titlis) but this time go up on the cablecar to Ristis , then on the chairlift to Brunni and do with your daughter the Globi Treasure Hunt Trail (from Brunni to Ristis or the other way around, but we chose to do it downhill). Also at Brunni, aside from beautiful views, you will find a Tickle Path which goes around a small lake. It is a lot of fun. Bring spare clothes:). For the treasure hunt you need to borrow a treasure map for 5chf from Ristis kiosk. You also receive an answer sheet. There are treasure chests hidden along the trail which you find using the map. Inside the chests there are questions with multiple answers (german and english). You write on your answer sheet the letter that is near the correct answer. The letters form a word and at the end you go with your answer sheet at the Ristis restaurant, give it to the person there and pick up the prize. At Ristis there is also a great playground with a big waterplayground and also a Rhodelbahn.

In case of bad weather you could go to Winterthur at the Swiss Science Center Technorama. Winterthur is 84 km from Lucerne and 24km from Zurich. We were there with the kids( 7 and almost 6 years old at the time) from opening till closing time and not a minute of boredom or tiredness, not for us the adults, nor for them.

ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2019 at 13:03:56 #912128

Thanks for these great ideas!

ioana, your pictures look great and the dwarf trail looks like a really good idea. Thanks again

We may end up doing it and also get back early to spend a little extra time in Zurich for an afternoon walk to see the sites.

• The thread ‘Where spend 1N after 8N in Lucern/Wengen, June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.