Where to buy a gas cannister on a Sunday in Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2020 at 7:44:29 #825625

Will be flying into Geneva on a Sunday evening and staying in a hostel overnight before starting a camping trip. It looks like all the camping equipment stores are closed on Monday in Geneva. Any ideas where I could buy a universal screw top gas cannister for my backpacking stove on a Monday around Geneva please?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    24 July 2020 at 8:19:31 #933944

Hi Andycperry,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Migros SportXX shops might have the camping gas you are looking for. You can try and search for campinggas on the website: http://www.sportxx.ch

Most camping grounds also have them.

Safe travel and regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2020 at 8:29:08 #933945

That’s useful, thanks for such a quick reply Anna!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2020 at 22:02:24 #933946

I’m not sure from where you get the notion that all camping equipment shops are closed on Monday in Geneva. I saw one that was closed, but there are several Decathlon outlets, and larger Migros stores (usually the ‘MM’ category’) have lots of outdoor equipment. (I first visited Migros aged about 6 months…and have been buying lots of types of non food items ever since (I just turned 60!)

Let me know where your hostel is located and where you are travelling from and to and I can tell you what area of Geneve to aim for.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2020 at 22:28:24 #933947

Hi 1960man,

I would be very grateful, am staying on Place Issac-Mercier in Saint Gervais. Will be coming from Aeroport Geneve late Sunday evening and the next day will travel tto Sion by train and then by bus to Arolla.

I’ll blame Google, all the Camping Equipment shops that came up on a Google search for the area showed they were closed Mondays, shows the value of local human knowledge!

Thanks,

Andy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2020 at 18:49:41 #933948

Hi Andycperry,

Most larger shops in Switzerland are open on Mondays. Smaller ones can be closed indeed. It’s best to find the website of a particular shop you are interested in, and check opening times there. Google or similar general websites may not always be accurate.

Safe travels!

Sara

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2020 at 21:51:43 #933949

OK, so you are not far from Gare Cornavin, that means you can keep it simple and take the train from Geneve Aeroport to Genève Cornavin (the main railway station).

You may want to take the 10 minute walk down to the Rhone and the start of the lake at the Pont du Mont Blanc (walk down Rue de Temple and East along Quai des Bergues) before you check out of the hotel. Or go from the hotel to the lake, then up to Cornavin station. Decathlon is in Rue de Lausanne alongside the East end of the station. Hofsterret Sports is in Rue de la Corraterie, south of your hotel. There is an ‘MM’ (ie large) MIgros in the same complex as the Decathlon.

The trains to Sion from Cornavin leave at . Get the faster train. Also (ideally) get your picnic food from the Migros in Cornavin station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2020 at 23:30:35 #933950

That’s great, thanks for your help, very comprehensive advice, really appreciate it.

Andy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2020 at 21:42:41 #933951

not bad considering I actually live in London!

• The thread ‘Where to buy a gas cannister on a Sunday in Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.