2 days in Switzerland Dec. 24&25 what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 5:25:22 #812826

Hello, I plan to spend 2 days in Switzerland in December (Christmas eve & christmas day). Where should I go if I only have two days? I notice that some places in Switzerland are better visited in summer than winter. So in the winter time what place is best? Thanks for the help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 9:32:57 #867796

Hi brigidakaren and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are a lot of activities in Switzerland in the winter for sure. Obviously skiing is the most popular. If you don’t ski snowshoeing and winter tubing is also possible. Or are you just looking to visit some towns and take some scenic train rides?

What are your interests? What made you decide to come to Switzerland? Note that everything will close early Dec.24 (1pm often) and most shops and restaurants and some tourist attractions will be closed Dec.25.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 11:19:47 #867797

Thank you for the valuable info! So my trip is from Innsbruck and then we will spend 2 days in Switzerland before we head to Paris. Basically I want to get just a taste of Swiss that is unique from other countries. I was thinking since we already go to cities like Budapest, Prague, Vienna (before Switzerland), maybe it is better to use our time in Switzerland to see the beautiful nature.

Do you think it’s a good idea to go to St Moritz from Innsbruck and then the next day ride on Glacier Express to Zermatt? Will it operate on Christmas day? And then what is the best way to go to Paris from Zermatt. Time is of the essence so i’m looking for the fastest way.

Thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 13:27:50 #867798

Yes, St. Moritz is a nice town for an overnight on the 24th and then to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn on December 25 with the Glacier Express (8 hours).

It looks as though there is a train operating on Christmas day yes – see the winter timetable here.
    You could then train to Paris from Zermatt on Dec.26. You can search the train schedules here – it will give you the fastest option first at about 7 hours.

Are you traveling on a rail pass for this trip?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 3:34:22 #867799

Wow nice! I’m still searching for the most effective way to go from town to town, whether to fly or to hop on a train or to take a bus. Do you think it will do me good to get railpass? And which railpass should i get? My trip is such : Budapest – Prague – Vienna – Salzburg – Hallstat – Innsbruck -St Moritz – Zermatt – Paris.

Thanks again for the valuable info!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 7:03:34 #867800

Hi,

As most of your travel is outside Switzerland I would look at a Eurail Pass. Have a look at the Eurail Select Pass (you can get it for up to 4 countries) or the Eurail Global Pass. Those links should give you all the needed information and how to buy the passes online.

Trains are definitely the best form of transport in Switzerland and usually anywhere in Europe unless you are crossing the continent which you aren’t. I would strongly look at one of those Eurail passes for your trip. You could supplement them with the odd flight or bus as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 7:10:07 #867801

Thanks a lot. Will definitely check those sites!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 7:20:05 #867802

Oh, I have another question. If I buy a Swiss Travel Pass, can I use it for my train ride from Innsbruck & out to Paris? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2017 at 9:53:46 #867803

No, all Swiss rail passes only cover train routes in Switzerland.

You will have to buy a ticket from Innsbruck to the Swiss Border town (probably be Buchs or Martina, cunfin). And from a Switzerland border town (probably Basel) to Paris.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 2:45:41 #867804

>> If I buy a Swiss Travel Pass, can I use it for my train ride from Innsbruck

If you go all the way from Innsbruck to Switzerland by train, then you need a ticket to the Swiss border (Buchs SG), and then the Swiss Travel Pass will cover you the rest of the way to St Moritz.

If you go via Martina, you only need a separate ticket for the sector between Innsbruck and Landeck-Zams, which is about a 45 minute trip. The Swiss Travel Pass will cover you all the way from Landeck-Zams to St Moritz.

The route via Martina is:

1. Innsbruck to Landeck-Zams – train (ticket required)

2. Landeck-Zams to Scuol-Tarasp by PostBus (with a change of bus at “Martina, cunfin”) – covered by Swiss Travel Pass

3. Scuol-Tarasp to St Moritz by train (with a change of train at Samedan) – covered by Swiss Travel Pass.

I have attached a screenshot from the Swiss Travel Pass validity map showing the route.

The option including the PostBus is quicker, but has more changes. However, they are not difficult changes. The PostBus stop at Landeck-Zams is just outside the station; the buses at Martina stop next to each other; the bus stop at Scuol is right outside the station; and the change at Samedan just means crossing from one side of the platform to the other. This is also a very scenic route. PostBuses have a compartment under the bus for luggage.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2017 at 3:57:18 #867805

Thanks for the help, appreciate it! 🙂

• The thread ‘2 days in Switzerland Dec. 24&25 what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.