Where to go, what to do in Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 4:27:16 #817205

Hello everyone,

I’m from Thailand and I am planning on travelling to Switzerland during October 2018.

My topic is about asking for your advices on activities and places to visit in Interlaken or natural scenic spots or places where i can drive to.. since i will rent a car from Geneva (land in Gevena) and will drive from there and stop at many cities along the route to Interlaken.

I have planned to stay in Interlaken for 3 days, 1 day will go up to Jungfraujoch. So i have other 2 days left.. and have no idea what should i do.. but thinking of driving to Grinderwald and Lauterbrunnen to visit Stabbach Falls as i googled from the internet, it some says it is possible to drive Stabbach Falls by car too.

Any other advices? or anything wrong/ misunderstood from what i know, please help correct it.

Thank you every comments and advices in advance.

😀

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 16:14:13 #891036

Hi Skooba101 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We do find that most people can enjoy traveling in Switzerland more by train than by car. You may want to read about the pros and cons of travel by car or train here first: https://www.myswissalp s.com/carversustrain

If you do travel by train, it is quite easy to do so if you buy a Swiss Travel Pass which will cover most of your travel (so no need to constantly buy tickets for most trips) https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Many towns in the Interlaken area are car-free as well (and you’ll need to take trains or cable cars up the mountains as well. If you do rent a car you may still want to look at buying a Swiss Half Fare Card as well: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d

For ideas on what to do and see in the Jungfrau region (around Interlaken) look here for our suggestions: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    11 July 2018 at 22:10:25 #891037

There are many wonderful trips to do from Interlaken.

It may be worthwhile to consider parking arrangements for your car. But as has been stated, Switzerland has an amazing public transport system and it may be worth reconsidering hiring a car.

Leave the driving to the experts and enjoy the scenery.

Interlaken in an interesting place that attracts lots of international tourists who like to travel in groups. They can be noisy at times and aren’t adverse to the odd push and shove. Other nearby localities are probably quieter.

As always PPPP applies; prior planning prevents poor performance. And planning is often half the fun.

Enjoy your travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 1:49:01 #891038

First of all, thank you so much for Lucas and Gunzel for your helpful informative reply.

I really believe that public transportation in Switzerland is one of the best public transportations in the world.

However, i should be clearer about my trip. Well, i will travel with a group of 3 people, my parents and I with 3 luggages. Hope you can image dragging big 3 luggages around towns during our trip. That’s not an ideal plan for me because my trip is a multi-cities trip where we stop by some cities or some tourist spots just a half day or a several hours..not stay over night so if we travel by public transportation, there is no place to left our luggages, so.. it means that i have to carry the luggages around town which is really inconvenient. I’ll give you an example of my itinerary.

1st day: Will be landed in Geneva at night so we will stay over night and in the morning, we’ll get the rented car and leave Geneva right away to Lausanne, travel around Lausanne and stay over night there. So first day, we’ll park the car at the hotel’s parking.

2nd day: Leave Lausanne and my destination is actually Bern, but we will drive pass Vevey during the route to Bern, so I plan to stop by Vevey and just have a short visit in Vevey (like a several hours) and in the late afternoon, we head to Bern and stay over night there (park at the hotel)

3rd day: Leave Bern to Interlaken. But as it is just about 60 km away from Bern to Interkan. So I have a plenty of time left, so I plan to visit Brienz lake before we go to Interlaken.

4th – 6th : Stay at Interlaken for 3 nights (including plan to visit Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Stabbach Falls, etc.) and so, of course, we will stay at a hotel which provides car park. But as we already rent a car, so that’s why I ask for any recommendations for the places where I can drive to (I prefer driving rather than using public transportation **If possible** because I already rent a car…

According to my plan above, you’ll see that i shortly stop by many places and continue to other places. So dragging luggages while travelling is not a good idea. So I really do hope you guys understand my situations and plans.. so please do help suggest or advise for places in Interlaken or nearby where I can drive to.. such as nearby countryside areas around Interlaken which is not a “car free zone” and I can drive to with no or less strict parking rules. And for the places in the downtown of Interlaken, I will not drive for sure, I will leave the car at the hotel and enjoy walking around town and/or use public transportation if needed 😀 that’s some of my plan.

So anyone would give any further information or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Warm regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 10:23:48 #891039

Hi Hi Skooba101,

Ok, that plan can work for you. You shouldn’t then have any issues with luggage as it would be at your hotel or in your car.

In the Jungfrau region, the mountains obviously aren’t accessible by car, and and neither are the towns of Mürren and Wengen. So to access those towns you must use a train or cable car. https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren/travel
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/travel

As for mountain access you can see the various options in the Jungfrau region (around Interlaken) here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities each mountain page there has a ROUTE tab to describe to you how to get there.

You can also use the timetable for Swiss railways to see the route options in detail: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 11:15:58 #891040

Hi Lucas ,

It is a really sweet of you for your help. Thank you very much for the driving routes to the mountains. Could you please help me one more thing , is it true that I can drive to Lauterbrunen and Grindelwald? I have read from TripAdvisor that the longest I can drive to is Lauterbrunen and Grindelwald and that is the end of the driving road. If we want to continue we have to park the car at Lauterbrunen or Grindelwald then take the train or cable car. So is it true that I can drive to Lauterbrunen and Grindelwald as well? So at least we can save the money for a train to these towns. I may have a visit in these two towns for a day as well.

I really appreciate your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 13:22:11 #891041

Yes, from Interlaken you can drive to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (you can drive past) Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg if you wanted but then park to go up to Murren).

You have to drive back towards Interlaken from either town to visit the other one (if you planned to go to both on the same day).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2018 at 17:12:58 #891042

Oh okay, thanks!! That sounds lovely.

I now understand so 2 places are opposite to one another. So maybe i do one day for Lauterbrunen and another day for Grindelwald 🙂

sounds perfect 😀

Thanks again.. so i think you already gave me all useful info. i needed about Interlaken.

Have a nice day!! 😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 8:07:08 #891043

Yes, Google Maps can clarify it I think. Search Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, then add a Grindelwald as next destination. It shows you the road route.

You can go directly between the towns by cable car, but on a road you need to head back towards Interlaken.

Happy Travels!

• The thread ‘Where to go, what to do in Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.