Where to have Christmas dinner in Montreux?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2019 at 22:44:03 #824683

Hi,

I have recently booked a holiday to Montreaux for 23-27 December.

What are some nice ideas / places to have dinner on Christmas Day (and affordable….we’re a family of 6).

It would be so nice to find somewhere nice so would greatly appreciate all suggestions.

Thank you,

Jason

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2019 at 12:53:30 #926583

Hi Jason and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Great that you are going to spend Christmas in Montreux, it is one of my favorite cities.

I do not have any personal experiences regarding these restaurants, but I’ve heard that Auberge de Chaulin has a great kitchen and also a beautiful view, although it is a more expensive restaurant.

You could have a look at Caveau des Vignerons, they serve typically Swiss food and has reasonable prices or La Corsa Al Cilento, they have Italian and Swiss dishes. I’ve also heard good things regarding those two above.

Maybe another forum member has more personal experiences regarding the restaurants in Montreux and will also share with us.

Also see:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 December 2019 at 19:45:06 #926584

Hi Ildiko,

I wonder how many restaurants will actually be open on Christmas Day. And won’t the one’s that are open be booked out by now?

Just a guess but I am thinking Jason may be limited to eating in the restaurant at his hotel.

Certainly this would be the case in Australia unless you had a booking at one of the very limited number of restaurants actually open on Christmas Day.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 December 2019 at 23:07:18 #926585

HI Rockoyster =-

<<“Just a guess but I am thinking Jason may be limited to eating in the restaurant at his hotel.”>>

I pick my hotels and especially my inns for my travels in Switzerland with some thought to the quality of the kitchen. Such a limitation as you note may be a blessing in disguise. There are lot of good kitchens at lodgings in Switzerland.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2019 at 6:57:24 #926586

Yes, of course, booking is necessary. Sorry, I missed that. But he might be lucky, he won’t know that until he do not try it, right? 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 December 2019 at 7:09:43 #926587

For sure, but I just wonder how many places other than hotel restaurants will be open. Switzerland seems to close down on Sundays so I imagined Christmas Day would mean very few places would be open.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2019 at 7:14:29 #926588

Restaurants and tourist places are open on Sundays. Perhaps some of them will be closed for Christmas, but I am sure, not every.

For a Christmas lunch you will probably find more options than for dinner, but as you said, restaurants of the hotels are a good option too.

EigerTyger
    Participant
    22 posts
    19 December 2019 at 18:15:20 #926589

We stayed in Cully (near Montreux) in May at the Hotel/Restaurant Auberge du Raisin. We ate wonderful breakfasts at the restaurant but no dinners. It is a favorite of the locals I believe. You may want to check it out.

• The thread ‘Where to have Christmas dinner in Montreux?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.