Non crowded hiking in Switzerland in August?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 3:48:58 #814327

I am returning to Switzerland this August after being away for 30+ years. I lived and worked in Zurich for almost four years and traveled extensively. I will be flying in and out of Zurich and have about 6/7 days. I am looking for someplace off the beaten path to do some hiking, perhaps in Graubünden or outside of Lugano/Locarno. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have been to Zermatt which is stunning and Wengen Laterbrunen as well, but am afraid those places are too touristy. I am excited to return and see some places I haven’t seen before. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    12 February 2018 at 3:28:48 #876111

Hi Lauriesam

Have you looked at Sils Maria?I haven’t any first hand knowledge but a previous thread made it sound like good hiking and not touristy. Mark

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 February 2018 at 6:18:46 #876112

Here are two links to my favorite hikes.

fredmishmash.blogspot. ch/2006/02/hike-in-bergun-to-preda-with-adventure.html

fredmishmash.blogspot. ch/2006/02/hike-through-bergalia-bergell.html

I would be surprised if you saw a dozen people on these walks. Read the blogs. Not hard walks. Gorgeous too.

Arno
    15481 posts
    12 February 2018 at 10:53:53 #876113

Hi Lauriesam, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The places you mentioned are touristy indeed. Another factor counts as well though: the longer and more difficult a trail is, the less people you’ll encounter. Graubünden is a good idea. Lots and lots of hiking trails there. I remember a hike in summer from Muottas Muragl via the Val Champagna down to Samedan. I think we only encountered one other couple at the end of the hike.

• The thread ‘Non crowded hiking in Switzerland in August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.