Non crowded hiking in Switzerland in August?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lauriesam
Lauriesam
8 posts
Feb 11, 2018 - 3:48 AM

I am returning to Switzerland this August after being away for 30+ years. I lived and worked in Zurich for almost four years and traveled extensively. I will be flying in and out of Zurich and have about 6/7 days. I am looking for someplace off the beaten path to do some hiking, perhaps in Graubünden or outside of Lugano/Locarno. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have been to Zermatt which is stunning and Wengen Laterbrunen as well, but am afraid those places are too touristy. I am excited to return and see some places I haven’t seen before. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Mark
Mark
246 posts
Feb 12, 2018 - 3:28 AM

Hi Lauriesam

Have you looked at Sils Maria?I haven’t any first hand knowledge but a previous thread made it sound like good hiking and not touristy. Mark

fredch
fredch
56 posts
Feb 12, 2018 - 6:18 AM in reply to Lauriesam

Here are two links to my favorite hikes.

fredmishmash.blogspot. ch/2006/02/hike-in-bergun-to-preda-with-adventure.html

fredmishmash.blogspot. ch/2006/02/hike-through-bergalia-bergell.html

I would be surprised if you saw a dozen people on these walks. Read the blogs. Not hard walks. Gorgeous too.

Arno
Arno
12123 posts
expert &
Feb 12, 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hi Lauriesam, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The places you mentioned are touristy indeed. Another factor counts as well though: the longer and more difficult a trail is, the less people you'll encounter. Graubünden is a good idea. Lots and lots of hiking trails there. I remember a hike in summer from Muottas Muragl via the Val Champagna down to Samedan. I think we only encountered one other couple at the end of the hike.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019