Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Where to hike now in Switzerland?

Where to hike now in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Giadalina
Giadalina
3 posts
May 13, 2020 - 2:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I have 5 days next week to travel and I'm trying to figure out where is best to go, keeping into consideration the fact that the gondolas are not running, the snow situation on the hikes. I was hoping to be in Murren or Wengen, to be at a good altitude for starting point of hiking, but am afraid that I will find all trails covered in snow?

Any ideas or suggestions? I'd rather not have 300-500m every day hiking up just to get to a trail - gondolas are closed until June right?

Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate your tips!

Giada

1960man
1960man
2671 posts
top member
May 13, 2020 - 10:28 PM in reply to Giadalina

Trains are running to Wengen because Wengen is not a pure tourist destination - people live there year round. You can also get to Mürren via Stechelberg (bus + cable cars). From Interlaken it will be faster as the new BOB deviation at Wilderswil has opened.

Very doubtful that paths around Wengen will be snow covered now. Wengen faces south so gets sun quite a lot. You may not get to walk a long distance though because some paths may still be shut off for the winter.

Giadalina
Giadalina
3 posts
May 14, 2020 - 6:39 AM

Thank you for the info :) Yes of course the transport to Wengen is working, but I wanted to know more about the trails once you are in Wengen - if I start from Wengen each day, where can I hike safely?

Mark
Mark
543 posts
top member
May 14, 2020 - 11:32 AM

Hi Giadalina

Most likely all the high alpine trails out of First, Mannlichen, and Eigergletscher will be impassable. Hiking in Lauterbrunnen valley and around Interlaken is likely ok. Trails around Grindelwald valley from Kleine Scheidegg or Alpiglen are possibly open but iffy. Trails around Wengen and Wengernalp may be open as well. Lower trails around Murren may be passable but the higher ones on Schilthorn probably not

I think your best bet is to check with the tourist’s office in Wengen or Grindelwald who will have an accurate up to date list of what is open. The staff at your hotel in Wengen or Grindelwald may have knowledge of open trails as well.

Mark

Ildiko
Ildiko
948 posts
top member &
May 14, 2020 - 12:32 PM in reply to Giadalina

Hi Giadalina and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You'll find a few hiking routes at www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities. Scroll down to reach the regional hiking suggestions and use the "Terrain type" filter as "Valley".

Ildiko

Also check: www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Giadalina
Giadalina
3 posts
May 14, 2020 - 5:04 PM

Wow< thank you so much everyone. Very appreciated feedback. I just wrote tot he tourist office and checked some snow lines and webcams... In your opinion, which is more deserving: Wengen or Murren? I am not so keen on being in the middle of too many people, I get up early, hike and sleep early.... love to hear the nature sounds in the mountains.

Mark
Mark
543 posts
top member
May 14, 2020 - 9:27 PM

Hi Giadalina

Normally I would say Wengen is larger but still relatively small. So there may be more choices in restaurants, shops, and markets. Also Wengen is a little easier to connect to nearby common hiking trails. However with the pandemic and it being low season, both towns will be very quiet likely. Also with the high alpine trails being closed, the connections to trails may be similar. Murren will be convenient to Lauterbrunnen valley, Interlaken, and lower Schilthorn. Wengen is close to Grindelwald valley and Lauterbrunnen valley.

Both towns are very scenic

mark

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020