Where to hike now in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2020 at 14:15:08 #825548

Hello everyone,

I have 5 days next week to travel and I’m trying to figure out where is best to go, keeping into consideration the fact that the gondolas are not running, the snow situation on the hikes. I was hoping to be in Murren or Wengen, to be at a good altitude for starting point of hiking, but am afraid that I will find all trails covered in snow?

Any ideas or suggestions? I’d rather not have 300-500m every day hiking up just to get to a trail – gondolas are closed until June right?

Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate your tips!

Giada

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2020 at 22:28:58 #932440

Trains are running to Wengen because Wengen is not a pure tourist destination – people live there year round. You can also get to Mürren via Stechelberg (bus + cable cars). From Interlaken it will be faster as the new BOB deviation at Wilderswil has opened.

Very doubtful that paths around Wengen will be snow covered now. Wengen faces south so gets sun quite a lot. You may not get to walk a long distance though because some paths may still be shut off for the winter.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2020 at 6:39:59 #932441

Thank you for the info 🙂 Yes of course the transport to Wengen is working, but I wanted to know more about the trails once you are in Wengen – if I start from Wengen each day, where can I hike safely?

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    14 May 2020 at 11:32:28 #932442

Hi Giadalina

Most likely all the high alpine trails out of First, Mannlichen, and Eigergletscher will be impassable. Hiking in Lauterbrunnen valley and around Interlaken is likely ok. Trails around Grindelwald valley from Kleine Scheidegg or Alpiglen are possibly open but iffy. Trails around Wengen and Wengernalp may be open as well. Lower trails around Murren may be passable but the higher ones on Schilthorn probably not

I think your best bet is to check with the tourist’s office in Wengen or Grindelwald who will have an accurate up to date list of what is open. The staff at your hotel in Wengen or Grindelwald may have knowledge of open trails as well.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2020 at 12:32:56 #932443

Hi Giadalina and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll find a few hiking routes at http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities. Scroll down to reach the regional hiking suggestions and use the “Terrain type” filter as “Valley”.

Ildiko

Also check: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2020 at 17:04:56 #932444

Wow< thank you so much everyone. Very appreciated feedback. I just wrote tot he tourist office and checked some snow lines and webcams… In your opinion, which is more deserving: Wengen or Murren? I am not so keen on being in the middle of too many people, I get up early, hike and sleep early…. love to hear the nature sounds in the mountains.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    14 May 2020 at 21:27:33 #932445

Hi Giadalina

Normally I would say Wengen is larger but still relatively small. So there may be more choices in restaurants, shops, and markets. Also Wengen is a little easier to connect to nearby common hiking trails. However with the pandemic and it being low season, both towns will be very quiet likely. Also with the high alpine trails being closed, the connections to trails may be similar. Murren will be convenient to Lauterbrunnen valley, Interlaken, and lower Schilthorn. Wengen is close to Grindelwald valley and Lauterbrunnen valley.

Both towns are very scenic

mark

• The thread ‘Where to hike now in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.