Where to see Valais Blacknose Sheep?

• Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    30 April 2019 at 6:42:26 #821327

I have seen professional photographers post on Instagram Valais Blacknose Sheep. Has anyone ever encountered them on a hike? It is my understanding that they are around The Matterhorn? If you have encountered them, is it easy to get to them, or is it a difficult hike? Are there certain months they are out? I might be in Switzerland in September.

Thank you very much!

Claire

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2019 at 7:31:14 #910951

Hello Birmans and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I have hiked quite a lot in the Valais in my life but unfortunately don’t know if there is a specific place to see those sheep you’re asking about.

To get some general inspiration about what to do in the Valais, use below link.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/va lais/activities

Regarding more detailed input you’ll have to wait for another member to provide it, I’m afraid.

Best,
    Steph

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    30 April 2019 at 21:51:44 #910952

Thank you Steph for the info! Maybe someone has been able to spot them!

Claire

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2019 at 1:10:57 #910953

Also, check this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

Slowpoke

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    1 May 2019 at 4:13:49 #910954

Thank you Slowpoke!

Claire

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    1 May 2019 at 5:10:51 #910955

In Zermatt there is the Shepherd’s Festival in Zen Stecken near the Furi cable car station (also near the Forest Fun Park). During the festival they select the most beautiful black-nose sheep of the year; a lot of fun, entertainment, and well groomed sheep. We were there several years ago. There are usually activities on Sat. and Sun. This year the festival is Sept. 8, 2019. On Sat. we watched sheep being washed and groomed. There is information on the Zermatt website, http://www.zermatt.ch. under events.

Also, the Julen family’s black nose sheep may be in their fields near Furi depending on the time of year. I have only been there in Sept. The Julen family has more than 300 black nose sheep, the largest in the world. They are happy for you to visit the sheep in their barn. We have been able to see then when walking from Furi back to Zermatt .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2019 at 6:17:28 #910956

Hi Bermans,

Attach a photo showing directions to see the sheep – from Zermatt station, look out for Denner and follow the arrows 😀

Once I reached Zermatt, put luggage in hotel, took lunch & rushed to Saas Fee, hence I had no chance to greet these sheep 🙁

Hope you see them… and send my regards ;D

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    1 May 2019 at 22:07:32 #910957

Hockeyfan, that Shepherd’s Festival would be great to go to. Fingers crossed I can go there! Thanks for that info and the Julen family info.

Claire

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    1 May 2019 at 22:08:35 #910958

May, thank you for the photo directions! I’m sorry you were not able to see the sheep.

Claire

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    1 May 2019 at 22:42:41 #910959

On the Julen Family website, they say the hike to see their sheep near the Matterhorn is only suitable for experienced hikers. I’ll have to write to them for what that really means. I’m certainly not an experienced hiker!

Claire

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    2 May 2019 at 0:16:46 #910960

Claire, I had actually forgotten about their sheep up near the base of the Matterhorn. The sheep are up there in the summer. We have seen them when hiking from Schwarzsee, cable car “station” and hotel, back down to Zermatt. We were moderately experienced hikers, but now in our late 70’s we are experienced walkers. I am not sure where the Julens take you or the location they are referring to. Contacting them is a great idea. They will be happy to share with you. They do bring the sheep back down to the barns near Furi, also a cable car change location, before the snows begins. I hope this works out for you. I thought these sheep were special. Carol Ann

Birmans
    Participant
    7 posts
    2 May 2019 at 0:46:10 #910961

Thank you Hockeyfan/Carol Ann, it will be interesting to see what the Julens say about the hike.

Claire

• The thread ‘Where to see Valais Blacknose Sheep?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.