Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Where to spend a long weekend in Switzerland?

Where to spend a long weekend in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Denandshazza
Denandshazza
104 posts
Jan 29, 2020 - 11:13 AM

As we have had a couple of lovely holidays in Switzerland my sister in law has asked me to suggest where to go for a long weekend in April. The main thing they are interested in is the mountains. I have suggested in order to get the most out of just a few days Lucerne or Interlaken may be best. Thay will be relying on trains and buses which is no problem with the brilliant public transport system. I am suggesting Lucerne as it has a lot to offer in the vicinity for a short visit. Several mountains Pilatis, Rigi, Titlisbut the lake cruises. Would you agree? I have also suggested the Jungfrau area but not sure if they would get as much out of that in a few days and at that time of year. I am also wondering if the mountain trains are open in April although I imagine cable cars are. I am not sure as we went in June. Also is there a transport ticket it is worth getting for a few days again not sure on this as we were there for 2 weeks so bought the travel pass

Ildiko
Ildiko
949 posts
top member &
Jan 29, 2020 - 8:45 PM in reply to Denandshazza

Hi Denandshazza,

nice to hear that your sister in law would like to visit Switzerland too. You are right, Jungfrau region (www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities) or Lake Lucerne area (www.myswissalps.com/lakelucerne/activities) would be great for first time visitors.

When I have been the first time in the Jungfrau region, we spent there only 2 nights, it was enough to get a taste of it. I think if she is also interested in culture then Lucerne (www.myswissalps.com/lucerne) is a better option for her.

If you visit the pages of the mountain tops, you'll find the operating dates there under the label "Route". For example: www.myswissalps.com/pilatus/gettingthere and www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere or www.myswissalps.com/titlis/gettingthere.

It depends on their itinerary whether a rail pass worths it. They can get a 3 days Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass) too. You'll find a helpful chatbot and a useful guide with a calculation spreadsheet, which helps you to choose your rail pass in 5 steps at www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully.

Ildiko

Further information:

Last modified on Mar 23, 2020 - 8:54 AM by Arno
Denandshazza
Denandshazza
104 posts
Jan 29, 2020 - 9:06 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thanks for reply, I will tell them to check out the 3 day pass and also from what I remember there was a local Beenese Oberland pass. Also I have suggested they register on here and read through the forums and relevant pages as there is so much invaluable information on here

Ildiko
Ildiko
949 posts
top member &
Jan 29, 2020 - 9:18 PM in reply to Denandshazza

Yes, there is also the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland and it is available for 3 days too: www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity.

The spreadsheet is really good, maybe you used it too, tell her to check it. And if she has more questions, do not hesitate to contact us. :)

Ildiko

Last modified on Jan 29, 2020 - 9:19 PM by Ildiko
Denandshazza
Denandshazza
104 posts
Jan 29, 2020 - 9:42 PM in reply to Ildiko

Yes I am going to leave it to them now as they know what they have in mind to do. I have told them to register on here and take advantage of your help.

Hopefully I will be returning again myself in the near future

Thanks and best regards

Sharon

1960man
1960man
2673 posts
top member
Jan 30, 2020 - 12:00 AM in reply to Denandshazza

You don't say how they would be reaching Switzerland; that makes some difference to what is convenient. For example I am booked for a long weekend in June for my 60th, and we are flying into Zürich and staying by the Vierwaldstättersee (aka Lake Luzern). I chose that area as it is so close to Zürich.

Denandshazza
Denandshazza
104 posts
Jan 30, 2020 - 1:01 AM in reply to 1960man

Like you they are flying in to Zurich from UK. So Lucerne does seem a good option. They are fancying Interlaken which would not be my choice but may suit them as a base for a short break.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020