Where to stay for a night in Lugano after Bernina

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2018 at 3:40:44 #818731

Hello,

We’re planning to take Bernina Express from from Chur to Lugano starting in Lucerne early April morning. Since it’s a long trip, we’d like to spend a night or 2 in Lugano but not sure where to stay. Where exactly does the bus leg to Lugano end? Should we stay in the city of Lugano? We looked up Lugano Switzerland and some properties that are in Como area, close to the lake, about 10min from Switzerland (descriptions from those properties) came up, they look very nice. Is the transportation from Lugano (end of Bernina express) to that part of Como area easy to get to? Does STP cover train/bus from Lugano to 10min from Lugano but on Italian side? If we stay 2 nights we probably need to take our luggages with us, is that going to be a problem with Bernina Express (1 carry on each) We’re planning to take the trains that use the same Bernina Express routes. Please help. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2018 at 4:37:35 #898086

We stayed at the Hotel Walter du Lac which is perfectly located on the lake’s edge in Lugano.

The Bernina Bus drops you off at the main Lugano train station.

From there you take a funicular (runs frequently and covered by STP) down to the CBD to the Lugano Citta TPL station. The lake is 5 – 6 minutes walk from there.

There is nowhere “on the Italian side” within 10 minutes of Lugano.

To get to Como (why bother? Lugano is as Italian as it comes) you need a train (covered by STP) from Lugano to Chiasso and then a local Italian train to Como San Giovanni.

No problem with luggage. You will need reservations on the single daily Bernina bus.

Have a read of bit.ly/2lMd2Cr

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2018 at 5:04:12 #898087

Thank you Rockoyster! Here is the exact description of the location “locate in the paranoma area of Como. The apartment is located in a strategic place only 5 min by bus from down town and 10 min away from Switzerland”

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 October 2018 at 5:52:31 #898088

10 minutes away from Switzerland would be to the border at Chiasso, not Lugano. Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel (including over the border into Italy). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2018 at 6:50:26 #898089

Hi Shopper99,

If you would like hotel suggestions for Lugano, look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano/hotels

You can check the timetable from Rockoyster to see how far it is from a hotel or any address in Como to Lugano but it isn’t 10 minutes, especially by bus or train.

If your plan is to visit Lugano and explore the Ticino region (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti cino) then I wouldn’t stay in Como.

Also luggage won’t be an issue on the trains (and bus) to Lugano, especially with just 1 carry-on each. http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    18 October 2018 at 12:53:45 #898090

Hi Shopoper99,

I was in Lugano last month. I took the Gotthard Express from Luzern, starting with the three hour boat ride through the beautiful lakes of Luzern to Fluelen. There the train is waiting to take you to Lugano. You can take the regular train lines as well. You can spend 2 nights in Lugano and take the bus to Tirano, and the train from there up to Chur. This way you can see the beautiful scenery on both of the train lines. The 3 hour boat through the lake is absolutely stunning, peaceful and just a great way to spend the morning.

The boat has a section where everyone stows their bags so that won’t be a problem. It departs at I believe it was 1005 right across from the train station. There is an info booth for the ferries right there as well. It is covered by the STP and if you take the regular train from Fleulen, it too, is covered by STP..If you choose this route, go through Goschenen for the scenic route or take the other route and it goes through a 50 k tunnel and is a bit quicker, but less scenic. The bus from Lugano to Tirano (or vice versa) is 14 Fr for a seat reservation. The train is free if you take local train. To me this was the best of both worlds.

As far as hotels in Lugano, I stayed at the Continental Parkhotel which is right at the other end of the train station where the bus pull into (or leaves from). It is at the top of the city, but you won’t have to tote your luggage down the very hilly part of the city. Very convenient to the train station. I was very pleased with the hotel, very professional, friendly folks working there. Has a pool too. As far as Lake Como, I echo Rockoyster as to “why”. Lugano is absolutely beautiful. No need to spend time traveling more, when there is plenty to see in Lugano. I hope this helps in your planning. The nice thing I found about traveling in Switzerland is that whichever direction you choose to go, it is still going to be beautiful. Happy traveling, have a great trip.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 October 2018 at 22:59:41 #898091

Wow, this is very helpful, thank you very much for all advises. I think I’ll do what Danielsan did.

• The thread ‘Where to stay for a night in Lugano after Bernina’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.