Where to stay for an early flight from Zurich?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 17:45:09 #820004

We plan to stay in Wengen for a week in June. We check out of our apt in the morning of June 26, and have a flight home from Zurich at 10:20 am the next day. We are trying to decide if we should stay overnight in Lucerne or Zurich. Someone told my wife that Zurich is “ugly and boring”, so she wants to stay in Lucerne. I checked the SBB timetable, and as far as I can tell we would have to catch a 6:30 am train (no later) to get to the airport check-in with 2 hours to get thru security etc.

So: is this a good idea, or should we stay at a hotel near the train station in Zurich (which was my idea)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 February 2019 at 20:44:38 #904578

Depends whether you like the idea of catching a 6:30am train or not. I wouldn’t describe Zurich as “ugly and boring”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 2:19:15 #904579

Zürich is not ‘ugly and boring’

It has a lake front, hills with mountain railways, nice architecture etc

I would stay adjacent to the airport for convenience of getting your am flight, but travel (without luggage) into town for your last evening out.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 9:36:35 #904580

Hi Bpascal,

Both options are possible I’d say, so it comes down to personal preferences. The below links help you find accommodation:

If you’re not an early riser you could even stay at the airport, so no traveling involved that morning: https://www.radissonbl u.com/en/hotel-zurichairport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 12:50:09 #904581

Hi Pascal

Zurich is a really lovely city and a day to soak it all in would be what I would recommend! Specially in June, if the weather is nice you could take a cruise on the lake or walk in the old town etc.

However Lucerne is the postcard town of Switzerland so if you haven’t seen that it would also be worthwhile to spend a day there.

Here are a couple of links to the cities to get a better overview of both towns:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne
    http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Then as Rockoyster and Arno have mentioned, it comes down to personal preference in regards to the early start!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 4:28:04 #904582

That’s what I’m looking for.

Thank you

• The thread ‘Where to stay for an early flight from Zurich?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.