Where to stay in Geneva, where to avoid?

• Teddy629
    Participant
    14 posts
    20 August 2018 at 16:03:28 #817983

My wife and I are traveling to Switzerland next August for two weeks. We arrive in Geneva from Paris by train and are planning to spend two nights in the city. Am looking for recommendations on where in the city would be the ideal location to look for accommodations? I see that there is an “Old Town ” section and am wondering if locating there would be recommended for exploring the city or somewhere else? Any suggestions on which hotels would also be appreciated. I was about to reserve a hotel not far form the main rail station to the east and read a review that stated that section of town was not desirable. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated>

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 August 2018 at 18:31:27 #894633

Hi Teddy, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Did you check the suggested hotels on our Geneva page? http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/hotels

If you don’t like any of those, please post your travel dates and budget so we can have a look for you.

I don’t think there are areas of Geneva that should be avoided for safety reasons. But the red light district around the Rue de Berne might not be your ideal vacation spot. It’s lively but not dangerous as far as I know.

There are not that many hotels in the (small) Old Town area. Les Armures is located there and listed on our page too. The whole city center is pretty compact, so you can go anywhere on foot regardless of where you stay. Here’s a city walk you might want to do: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/geneva

MyTravels
    Participant
    25 posts
    21 August 2018 at 1:23:46 #894634

Hi Teddy629

Welcome!!! As per Arno’s reply I have stayed at Les Armures when I travelled to Geneva in 2016 and can thoroughly recommend, the hotel is lovely and being in the old town makes it a great location for exploring the area, in addition they have a wonderful restaurant and the fondue is highly recommended though August may be a bit too warm for a fondue experience. The hotel is on the expensive side but well worth it.

Cheers

My Travels

• The thread ‘Where to stay in Geneva, where to avoid?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.