Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Where to stay in Geneva, where to avoid?

Where to stay in Geneva, where to avoid?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Teddy629
Teddy629
10 posts
Aug 20, 2018 - 4:03 PM

My wife and I are traveling to Switzerland next August for two weeks. We arrive in Geneva from Paris by train and are planning to spend two nights in the city. Am looking for recommendations on where in the city would be the ideal location to look for accommodations? I see that there is an "Old Town " section and am wondering if locating there would be recommended for exploring the city or somewhere else? Any suggestions on which hotels would also be appreciated. I was about to reserve a hotel not far form the main rail station to the east and read a review that stated that section of town was not desirable. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated>

Arno
Arno
14121 posts
expert &
Aug 20, 2018 - 6:31 PM

Hi Teddy, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Did you check the suggested hotels on our Geneva page? www.myswissalps.com/ge neva/hotels

If you don't like any of those, please post your travel dates and budget so we can have a look for you.

I don't think there are areas of Geneva that should be avoided for safety reasons. But the red light district around the Rue de Berne might not be your ideal vacation spot. It's lively but not dangerous as far as I know.

There are not that many hotels in the (small) Old Town area. Les Armures is located there and listed on our page too. The whole city center is pretty compact, so you can go anywhere on foot regardless of where you stay. Here's a city walk you might want to do: www.myswissalps.com/hi king/geneva

MyTravels
MyTravels
20 posts
Aug 21, 2018 - 1:23 AM in reply to Teddy629

Hi Teddy629

Welcome!!! As per Arno's reply I have stayed at Les Armures when I travelled to Geneva in 2016 and can thoroughly recommend, the hotel is lovely and being in the old town makes it a great location for exploring the area, in addition they have a wonderful restaurant and the fondue is highly recommended though August may be a bit too warm for a fondue experience. The hotel is on the expensive side but well worth it.

Cheers

My Travels

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019