Where to stay in Kandersteg and Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 2:09:02 #815145

Hi all,

In July my two friends and I will be doing some hut to hut hiking in the Bernese Oberland. I’ve reserved the mountain huts we want to stay at, but I am looking for places to stay in Kandersteg and Murren . We are three women, happy to stay in dorm room style accommodation, in places that are simple, close to hiking trails and in nature.

At the start of our trip we’ll be leaving from Kandersteg to hike part of the via Alpina (to GspaltenhornHutte). Do you have any recommendations of places to stay in Kandersteg?

A few days later, we want to spend two night near Murren. Do you have any recommendations for a place to stay in Murren (or Gimmelwald, Stechelburg) that would be a good base to do the Eiger Hike (as a day hike) or Schilthorn hike? Note: we’ll be coming from Obersteinberg.

Thank you!

Virginie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    791 posts
    5 April 2018 at 11:18:32 #880977

Hello

The Eiger Trail is a great , classic hike with views the entire time and it would be my choice over the Schilthorn hike. The towns most convenient to the Eiger trail are Lauderbrunnen, Wengen, or Grindelwald but unfortunately I’m not familiar with hostel type lodging. I would expect others will be knowledgeable and you might check this website for lodging suggestions.

By the way you probably already know this but the downhill route from Eigergletcher to Alpiglen is much easier than the reverse uphill direction. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 14:22:46 #880978

Hi Virginie,

Sounds like a nice hiking trip. I don’t have details on Kandersteg accommodations but I’m sure another member does.

You can find a nice list of hotel options for different budgets on our Murren page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren/hotels

• The thread ‘Where to stay in Kandersteg and Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.