Where to stay in Zermatt in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2020 at 8:54:35 #824917

Hi, Im in the process of booking accommodation in Zermatt, we are staying 4 nights in mid september. Looking at the map im not sure which side to stay on either the Gornergratt Railway Station side or the other side of river (not sure of river name). We love cafes, bars, restaurants, would be great to get ideas. Thankyou

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    17 January 2020 at 9:14:02 #928170

Hi Vs70,

Zermatt is quite compact, you could walk everywhere. It’s a car-free village by the way 🙂 I personally don’t think it matters much where you stay. But if you plan to do visit the Gornergrat and do a lot of hiking in that area, perhaps it’s best to pick a base closer to the Gornergrat base station.

Hope you’ll find the following links useful 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    18 January 2020 at 13:45:46 #928171

Hi Vs70

We have stayed twice at the Riffelalp Resort and highly recommend it. My thumbnail photo of the Matterhorn was taken from my room balcony at sunrise. It is located at the Riffelalp train stop on the Gornergratbahn about 3 stops above Zermatt. Besides great views of the mountains and Zermatt, it is very convenient as a base for hiking and visiting the Gornergrat summit. Zermatt is easily accessible as a short 10 min ride down the Gornergrat train.

It is pricy but the views are worth it in my opinion and the hotel and spa are first class.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2020 at 10:51:34 #928172

Hi. As already said it doesn’t really matter, Zermatt is easily walked and the walking is part of the experience. That being said a long time ago I stayed at Hotel Darioli and it was quite adequate, not luxurious but nice with a great little restaurant on the first floor. What needs to be decided is whether you want to stay within the walkable town or take a train back and forth in the morning/evening to get back to where you are staying.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2020 at 11:54:27 #928173

Hello VS70,

Thanks for your question! In addition to the great advice received, I have attached a search box results link about where to stay in Zermatt to help you decide:

Good luck!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    19 January 2020 at 13:54:09 #928174

Staying in Zermatt itself is certainly fine but unless you are a 24 hr a day shopper you will likely not spend much time in town except to eat. Hiking and mountain sightseeing are of course done outside Zermatt and we found Riffelalp to be very convenient in that regard. We did go down to Zermatt 1 or 2 nights for dinner and to look around but my taste for shopping was satisfied in 30 minutes or less.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2020 at 16:38:14 #928175

Good point Mark!

• The thread ‘Where to stay in Zermatt in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.