Where to stay near Pontresina in May?

• violet222
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 January 2023 at 10:54:56 #828920

I’m thinking of spending a night in the Pontresina area at the end of May, but I’m noticing that many good hotels are closed from April-June. Can anyone recommend a great hotel in that area that will be open in late May? Not looking for something super fancy, but a cute boutique hotel that has great food or is near a good restaurant would be ideal. It doesn’t have to be Pontresina, but somewhere in the area along the Bernina Express route that is not too far from Diavolezza or the Moretasch glacier hike. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    20 January 2023 at 16:21:26 #949903

Not in a town or villiage, my husband and I love Hotel Morteratsch. It is located at a train stop along the Bernina route, and at the beginning of the hike to the Morteratsch Glacier. The owners are wonderful, a really good buffet breakfast, and excellent food for lunch and dinner. It has been three years since we were there last, but I doubt much has changed.

Anna
    6355 posts
    20 January 2023 at 20:23:02 #949904

Hi violet222,

If you prefer a hotel near the train station, consider staying at Hotel Station Pontresina. It’s 3-star and looks pretty stylish. There are more options in nearby St Moritz. You can try this link to search for more hotels in the area: http://www.myswissalps.com/upperengadine/hotels

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    20 January 2023 at 22:39:04 #949905

Hi violet

You might check out the Waldhaus in Sils. The hotel will pick you up at the St Moritz train station free of charge for the 20 minute ride to the Waldhaus. My wife and i had a great stay and highly recommend it. It is a very historic family run hotel in a beautiful setting. Connections by bus or train in the area are free with the pass that is included in the hotel stay. Photos and independent reviews are available on TripAdvisor as well as other websites.

Mark

violet222
    Participant
    8 posts
    21 January 2023 at 0:09:46 #949906

Thank you for the suggestions! Unfortunately Hotel Morterasch and Waldhaus are closed in late May.

Anna
    6355 posts
    21 January 2023 at 7:54:33 #949907

Hi violet222,

That’s unfortunate. May is considered a quiet period so that could be a reason. I think you might have better chance looking for hotels in St Morirtz: http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels

Hope it works out.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Where to stay near Pontresina in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.