Montreux to Wengen - Glacier 3000 or Ballenberg?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
webjammer
webjammer
13 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 11:14 AM

Hello Experts,

I need some advise yet again. As I am scheduled to visit Montreux in the end of August, on one of the days, I would be taking the 9.44 am golden pass line from Montreux to Zweisimmen and my final destination is Wengen via Interlaken.

Initially, my plan was to visit the ballenberg open air museum from Interlaken along with the lake brienz tour and then check in to wengen. However, of late I am hearing a lot of Glacier 3000 and the photos look breathtaking. I am confused as to what to choose because I cant do both in one single day I guess.

Could anyone advise about this? Also, is it possible to cover Glacier 3000 from Zweisimmen or should I stick to my initial plan of ballenberg?

Thanks

Sid

Arno
Arno
11562 posts
expert &
Jun 26, 2018 - 5:30 PM

Hi Sid,

You need good weather for Glacier 3000, so you could decide based on that. If you want to combine the Golden Pass line and Glacier 3000 you'd take the bus to Col-du-Pillon (where the cable car starts) from Gstaad, not from Zweisimmen. A route that might be quicker is Montreux - Aigle - Les Diablerets - Col-du-Pillon, then up and down to Glacier 3000 and on to Gstaad to pick up the train.

Last modified on Jun 26, 2018 - 5:30 PM by Arno
webjammer
webjammer
13 posts
Jun 26, 2018 - 8:10 PM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno

Thanks for your response. "A route that might be quicker is Montreux - Aigle - Les Diablerets - Col-du-Pillon"..by this, do you mean to say that I will have to skip the Golden pass line or is this the route of the Golden pass?

Thanks

Arno
Arno
11562 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2018 - 5:16 AM in reply to webjammer

Hi Sid,

The alternative route is not the Golden Pass. You'll by-pass the first part and join the route in Zweisimmen. You don't have to do that but it may save you some time, that's why I mentioned it. The details are in the timetable.

webjammer
webjammer
13 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 7:37 AM

Thanks Arno, so as per my understanding, if the weather is good, I would be getting down at Gstaad on the golden pass line, take a bus to Col-du-Pillon (where the cable car starts) and again return by bus to Gstaad and go to Zweisimmen for finally getting back to Interlaken & Wengen. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Sid

Lucas
Lucas
9853 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2018 - 10:32 AM in reply to webjammer

That is correct.

You can use the timetable from Arno to see the schedules and confirm that. Just enter Montreux to Col Du Pillon via Gstaad.
If you don't enter via Gstaad it will give you both route options. You'll see that going via Gstaad is about 20 minutes longer than via Aigle.

Last modified on Jun 27, 2018 - 10:46 AM by Lucas
webjammer
webjammer
13 posts
Jun 27, 2018 - 10:57 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a lot Lucas. I have reserved a VIP seat for the 9 44 am golden pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen. So instead of getting down at Zweisimmen, I can get down at Gstaad and go to Col Du Pillon (provided the weather is good) and take the same route back

Lucas
Lucas
9853 posts
expert &
Jun 27, 2018 - 11:58 AM in reply to webjammer

Yes you can just get off at Gstaad. You'll then get back on a train at Gstaad later to continue your train (without reservations). Which is fine as you should just grab any regional train connection that works for you to get to Wengen.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018