Montreux to Wengen – Glacier 3000 or Ballenberg?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 11:14:41 #816902

Hello Experts,

I need some advise yet again. As I am scheduled to visit Montreux in the end of August, on one of the days, I would be taking the 9.44 am golden pass line from Montreux to Zweisimmen and my final destination is Wengen via Interlaken.

Initially, my plan was to visit the ballenberg open air museum from Interlaken along with the lake brienz tour and then check in to wengen. However, of late I am hearing a lot of Glacier 3000 and the photos look breathtaking. I am confused as to what to choose because I cant do both in one single day I guess.

Could anyone advise about this? Also, is it possible to cover Glacier 3000 from Zweisimmen or should I stick to my initial plan of ballenberg?

Thanks

Sid

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2018 at 17:30:04 #889499

Hi Sid,

You need good weather for Glacier 3000, so you could decide based on that. If you want to combine the Golden Pass line and Glacier 3000 you’d take the bus to Col-du-Pillon (where the cable car starts) from Gstaad, not from Zweisimmen. A route that might be quicker is Montreux – Aigle – Les Diablerets – Col-du-Pillon, then up and down to Glacier 3000 and on to Gstaad to pick up the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 20:10:53 #889500

Hi Arno

Thanks for your response. “A route that might be quicker is Montreux – Aigle – Les Diablerets – Col-du-Pillon”..by this, do you mean to say that I will have to skip the Golden pass line or is this the route of the Golden pass?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2018 at 5:16:10 #889501

Hi Sid,

The alternative route is not the Golden Pass. You’ll by-pass the first part and join the route in Zweisimmen. You don’t have to do that but it may save you some time, that’s why I mentioned it. The details are in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 7:37:43 #889502

Thanks Arno, so as per my understanding, if the weather is good, I would be getting down at Gstaad on the golden pass line, take a bus to Col-du-Pillon (where the cable car starts) and again return by bus to Gstaad and go to Zweisimmen for finally getting back to Interlaken & Wengen. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Sid

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 10:32:23 #889503

That is correct.

You can use the timetable from Arno to see the schedules and confirm that. Just enter Montreux to Col Du Pillon via Gstaad.
    If you don’t enter via Gstaad it will give you both route options. You’ll see that going via Gstaad is about 20 minutes longer than via Aigle.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 10:57:00 #889504

Thanks a lot Lucas. I have reserved a VIP seat for the 9 44 am golden pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen. So instead of getting down at Zweisimmen, I can get down at Gstaad and go to Col Du Pillon (provided the weather is good) and take the same route back

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 11:58:51 #889505

Yes you can just get off at Gstaad. You’ll then get back on a train at Gstaad later to continue your train (without reservations). Which is fine as you should just grab any regional train connection that works for you to get to Wengen.

• The thread ‘Montreux to Wengen – Glacier 3000 or Ballenberg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.