Which day to use Swiss Travel Pass – Luzern,Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 23:52:54 #816173

Hi, we are traveling to Switzerland on 1 Jun and staying for 8 nights. Below is our itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive Zurich Airport late afternoon, travel by train to Luzern, check in hotel. No special activities, probably just walking around.

Day 2: Trip to Mt Rigi /Lake Luzern

Day 3: Sightseeing in Luzern

Day 4: Trip to Mt Titlis

Day 5: Travel to Zurich by train (flexible timing)

Day 6: Trip to Jungfrau

Day 7: Trip to Stein Am Rhein/ Rhine Falls

Day 8: Sightseeing in Zurich or maybe a trip to Lichtenstein or elsewhere

Day 9: Travel to Zurich Airport around late morning

My questions:

1. Is it faster to travel to Jungfrau from Luzern?

2. What is the cost to go Mt Rigi and Stein Am Rhein/ Rhine Falls if I don’t use any travel pass?

3. My reason for Question 2 is we are considering to buy 4 Day Swiss Travel Pass but not sure which days to use or whether should it be the consecutive or flex pass as depending on weather conditions we could travel to Jungfrau from Luzern too. In Luzern, we will also be using a online Tourist Card given by Luzern Tourism as we will pay City Tax (according to Air BnB host).

4. We are considering 3 day Swiss Tell Pass too- if we travel to Jungfrau from Luzern, where does the tell pass cover until?

5. For days without the travel pass, is it cheaper to buy Zurich Day Pass (is it called ZVV) and travel within Zurich and also back to Zurich airport?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 6:25:01 #886097

Hi Bibianni,

1. You can check travel times from any town to Jungfraujoch on the Swiss railways timetable here to compare.
    2. Also, this can be checked on the timetable link above. The first price is for the Swiss Half Fare Card, so double it for the regular cost.
    3. The local Tourist card for Luzern will only cover day 3 (unless it is the Tell Pass?). I’d look at getting the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass for the whole trip: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price
    4. The Tell Pass coverage map can be found here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpass/validit y
    5. That will depend on where and how often you travel in Zurich. If it is only one or two trips it might not be worth a day pass. More than that and I would buy the day pass for simplicity.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 23:30:47 #886098

Thanks Lucas.

Besides considering the price for traveling, are there any entrance fee required for Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis and Jungfraujoch?

Also, I visited the Mt Titlis website and the price table kinda confuses me. It says Engelberg to Titlis cost 92CHF for round trip? What are the other pricing that says from Engelberg to Stand, Engelberg to Trubsee etc? Are they stations along the way? If we want to explore instead of going straight up to Titlis, we have to pay more?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 0:12:24 #886099

>> Besides considering the price for traveling, are there any entrance fee required for Mt Rigi, Mt Titlis and Jungfraujoch?

No, there are no additional entrance fees for visiting the mountain tops just for sightseeing, but if you also want to do some of the activities, they do cost extra e.g. Ice Flyer, tobogganing, scooter bike etc at Titlis; Snow Fun Park at the Jungfraujoch.

http://www.titlis.ch/en/snipp ets/preise/Activities

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/snow-fun-park/

>> Also, I visited the Mt Titlis website and the price table kinda confuses me. It says Engelberg to Titlis cost 92CHF for round trip?

Yes, that is the full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass you will get a 50% discount on that fare.

>> What are the other pricing that says from Engelberg to Stand, Engelberg to Trubsee etc? Are they stations along the way?

Yes, those are intermediate stations on the way to the top of Titlis. You can read more about the route here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/gettingthere

The price structure caters for people who only want to go part way, as well as for those who want to go right to the top.

>> If we want to explore instead of going straight up to Titlis, we have to pay more?

No. Your return ticket Engelberg-Titlis is valid all day, and allows you to get off at either or both of the intermediate stations. If you plan to do this, I would do it on the way down rather than the way up, in case the clouds roll in and block the views from the top before you get there.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Which day to use Swiss Travel Pass – Luzern,Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.