Which route to Burgdorf after Schilthorn visit

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Nobigdeal
Nobigdeal
5 posts
Jul 10, 2019 - 6:55 PM

So we start our trip the morning of 7/24 in Zurich. We have hotel accommodations in Interlaken 7/24 and 7/25. Our next nights stay is Burgdorf 7/26 then on to Basel for the night of 7/27. We have one spot on our list to see and that is Scilthorn. My thought was to get to Interlaken hotel to drop off luggage and enjoy the town. Next day up to Schilthorn and back. This brings me to the question of my direction to Burgdorf. Should we leave early and head to Luzern for the day and then to Burgdorf or continue around through Thun and Bern to Burgdorf. What do you guys think.

1960man
1960man
1885 posts
top member
Jul 10, 2019 - 11:05 PM in reply to Nobigdeal

It's up to you. If you want to visit Luzern it is easy to do so. To get to Burgdorf from Luzern either take the pleasant local railway Luzern - Langenthal and change at Langenthal for Burgdorf. or take the pleasant local railway through the Emmenthal (of cheese fame) and change at Langnau for Burgdorf.

Remember most journeys in Switzerland are short as it's a small country (roughly the same size as the 37th largest US state).

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jul 11, 2019 - 12:50 AM in reply to Nobigdeal

<<"This brings me to the question of my direction to Burgdorf. Should we leave early and head to Luzern for the day and then to Burgdorf or continue around through Thun and Bern to Burgdorf. What do you guys think.">>

The timetable will help you decide:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

If you have time, a few hours in Luzern can be nice.

Slowpoke

Nobigdeal
Nobigdeal
5 posts
Jul 11, 2019 - 5:28 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Is there a facility to store our luggage while spending time in luzern?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jul 11, 2019 - 9:36 AM in reply to Nobigdeal

<<"Is there a facility to store our luggage while spending time in luzern?">>

Check this link and follow the links on that page ( at the right). Use "Rail station services and opening hours"

www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

That will get you to further pages for the 5 major stations, or, still further, to a list or map of other stations. For each station, look under the heading "Station and Services." "All services" gets you to a list which includes "luggage" for the luggage office; see note further below about that.

[ You can also get there directly from the main SBB website:

www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l, under stations and services.]

Scroll down to Equipment and Mobility, then equipment and lockers.

For Luzern, you get:

Lockers.

Size W x H x D in cm Prices in CHF Number

small 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0 6 147

medium 31.7 x 61.5 x 75.0 7 144

large 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0 9 24

Lockers.

Opening hours

Mon.–Sun.

00:00–00:00

Prices in CHF

Currency

CHF

Max

Min

Total is 311 lockers.

There is also a left luggage office....typically found under an icon for with luggage the list somewhere for "all services" or "SBB Services. " It takes a bit of work to find it. Here is what you get:

Luggage.

Opening hours.

Mon.–Sun. 8:00–19:00

It is followed by a long list of reduced hours on certain holidays.

Here are the data for the days nearest your stay:

Public holidays Date Opening hours

National Day Thursday, August 1 2019 8:00–19:00

Assumption Day Thursday, August 15 2019 8:00–19:00

Lost and found has the same hours and is the same location in the station.

Slowpoke

Nobigdeal
Nobigdeal
5 posts
Jul 12, 2019 - 3:15 PM in reply to 1960man

I’m using the SBB mobile app and the listed routes take me through Olten or Bern. From what I can see on the railway map it looks like I should somehow go through langnau/ ramsel. I also checked happyrail.com. Your suggestion?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6338 posts
expert
Jul 12, 2019 - 3:38 PM in reply to Nobigdeal

For journey planning I prefer a large screen of the main SBB website, so I 'm not sure why you are not getting the option to go through the Emmental.

However these instructions are likely to include the answer:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As noted in the instructions, the timetable defaults to the fastest routes. You need to enter a "via" or two in order to control the computer.

It is obvious on the main web site.....I don't know if it is as obvious on the small screen.

Slowpoke

1960man
1960man
1885 posts
top member
Jul 14, 2019 - 12:48 AM in reply to Nobigdeal

Try looking at the traditional 'paper' timetable:

www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/440.pdf

You will see the RE trains Luzern - Langnau and the 'S6' trains Luzern - Langenthal. Once at either Langnau or Langenthal get the next advertised train to Burgdorf

Last modified on Jul 14, 2019 - 12:51 AM by 1960man

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019