Which route to Burgdorf after Schilthorn visit

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 18:55:15 #822775

So we start our trip the morning of 7/24 in Zurich. We have hotel accommodations in Interlaken 7/24 and 7/25. Our next nights stay is Burgdorf 7/26 then on to Basel for the night of 7/27. We have one spot on our list to see and that is Scilthorn. My thought was to get to Interlaken hotel to drop off luggage and enjoy the town. Next day up to Schilthorn and back. This brings me to the question of my direction to Burgdorf. Should we leave early and head to Luzern for the day and then to Burgdorf or continue around through Thun and Bern to Burgdorf. What do you guys think.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 23:05:12 #917474

It’s up to you. If you want to visit Luzern it is easy to do so. To get to Burgdorf from Luzern either take the pleasant local railway Luzern – Langenthal and change at Langenthal for Burgdorf. or take the pleasant local railway through the Emmenthal (of cheese fame) and change at Langnau for Burgdorf.

Remember most journeys in Switzerland are short as it’s a small country (roughly the same size as the 37th largest US state).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 0:50:27 #917475

<<“This brings me to the question of my direction to Burgdorf. Should we leave early and head to Luzern for the day and then to Burgdorf or continue around through Thun and Bern to Burgdorf. What do you guys think.”>>

The timetable will help you decide:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

If you have time, a few hours in Luzern can be nice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2019 at 5:28:41 #917476

Is there a facility to store our luggage while spending time in luzern?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 July 2019 at 9:36:33 #917477

<<“Is there a facility to store our luggage while spending time in luzern?”>>

Check this link and follow the links on that page ( at the right). Use “Rail station services and opening hours”

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

That will get you to further pages for the 5 major stations, or, still further, to a list or map of other stations. For each station, look under the heading “Station and Services.” “All services” gets you to a list which includes “luggage” for the luggage office; see note further below about that.

[ You can also get there directly from the main SBB website:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l, under stations and services.]

Scroll down to Equipment and Mobility, then equipment and lockers.

For Luzern, you get:

Lockers.

Size W x H x D in cm Prices in CHF Number

small 24.8 x 42.0 x 75.0 6 147

medium 31.7 x 61.5 x 75.0 7 144

large 44.7 x 61.5 x 88.0 9 24

Lockers.

Opening hours

Mon.–Sun.

00:00–00:00

Prices in CHF

Currency

CHF

Max

Min

Total is 311 lockers.

There is also a left luggage office….typically found under an icon for with luggage the list somewhere for “all services” or “SBB Services. ” It takes a bit of work to find it. Here is what you get:

Luggage.

Opening hours.

Mon.–Sun. 8:00–19:00

It is followed by a long list of reduced hours on certain holidays.

Here are the data for the days nearest your stay:

Public holidays Date Opening hours

National Day Thursday, August 1 2019 8:00–19:00

Assumption Day Thursday, August 15 2019 8:00–19:00

Lost and found has the same hours and is the same location in the station.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2019 at 15:15:35 #917478

I’m using the SBB mobile app and the listed routes take me through Olten or Bern. From what I can see on the railway map it looks like I should somehow go through langnau/ ramsel. I also checked happyrail.com. Your suggestion?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 July 2019 at 15:38:55 #917479

For journey planning I prefer a large screen of the main SBB website, so I ‘m not sure why you are not getting the option to go through the Emmental.

However these instructions are likely to include the answer:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

As noted in the instructions, the timetable defaults to the fastest routes. You need to enter a “via” or two in order to control the computer.

It is obvious on the main web site…..I don’t know if it is as obvious on the small screen.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2019 at 0:48:43 #917480

Try looking at the traditional ‘paper’ timetable:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/440.pdf

You will see the RE trains Luzern – Langnau and the ‘S6’ trains Luzern – Langenthal. Once at either Langnau or Langenthal get the next advertised train to Burgdorf

• The thread ‘Which route to Burgdorf after Schilthorn visit’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.