Rail pass: Geneva-Lucerne-Zurich 3 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 7:05:53 #818474

Hello,

my family 2 adults and 1 child 8 yo will arrive in Geneva on 26 dec.

herewith our plan

26 dec: arrive at geneva 14.30 pm directly go to lucerne

27 dec : mt titlis full day OR

mt titlis half day and lucerne city tour / mt pilatus

28 dec : zurich to catch flight to Lisbon.

Our questions:

1) which one is best : buy regular ticket geneva – lucerne and lucerne – zurich + tell pass winter OR swiss pass which I assume cover all ? I read in your forum tell pass winter is definetely cheaper vs purchase regular ticket to mt titlis.

2) Do I need to add one more day to make either pass worth it to buy?

3) which option is best for 27 dec? We haven’t been in alps before. This will be our first snow experience!

thank you for your suggestion!

regards,

kaluvya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 7:34:39 #896694

Hi kaluvya and welcome to MySwissAlps!

In order to know which Swiss rail pass (if any) will save you money over buying point to point tickets, you’ll need to first decide on your day to day itinerary and then find ticket prices and compare to rail pass discounts (some trips are fully covered and others partially covered). Read though our instructional page on how to find the best rail pass for your itinerary here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass (we even have a spreadsheet there to help with the math).

I would compare either the Swiss Half Fare Card or the 2 day Swiss Tell Pass (with a regular ticket from Geneva to Lucerne and Zug to Zurich (The Tell Pass covers the train from Lucerne to Zug).

The Swiss Travel Pass (3 days) could work out as well and is worth checking for you. It covers all your train routes but gives 50% off to Pilatus and Titlis: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 9:09:55 #896695

Hi Lucas,

thank you for your reply and your great advice.

I find out that for 1 adult it would be more cost saving to purchase point to point ticket geneva – lucerne + tell pass + zug to zurich = CHF 200 vs CHF 333 swiss half card vs CHF 317 swiss travel pass 3 days for my itenerary above!!! Your links are very helpful and have clear instruction to follow !!

If I may have follow up questions:

1) I understand that tell pass they have fixed child price. But I wonder how to buy point to point ticket for my child 8 yo ?

2) For leg lucerne to zug and zug to zurich do they have continues schedule every 30 minutes or so? What time is the last train?

3) is it zug to zurich airport a direct train or do I need to change in certain station?

Thank you,

kaluvya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 16:26:46 #896696

Hi kaluvya,

1. When your child needs a point to point ticket (Geneva and Zurich trips) they are half price of regular tickets (same as if you had the Swiss Half Fare Card).
    2. Just to be clear, you don’t change trains in Zug. You just need a valid Tell Pass and a ticket from Zug to Zurich airport. You can check train schedules from Lucerne to Zurich airport here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    3. There are direct trains from Lucerne to Zurich airport yes. The timetable above will show you your options. Some trains, depending on which one you catch at Lucerne require a change in Zurich main station.
  • The thread ‘Rail pass: Geneva-Lucerne-Zurich 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.