Which mountain is a must visit from Lauterbrunnen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 17:09:01 #812923

Hi !

Our family (2 adults and 2 kids aged 12 and 5) will be in Lauterbrunnen (3 days) and Lucern (5 days). Im planning to get the 8 days consecutive Swiss travel pass (is that advisable?). I read that some of the mountain passes are free and some have to be paid. Could I know which are a must do thats free and those that require payment? I wouldn’t want to do too many climbs as Im sure my kids would like to do something different each day. Please help me 🙂 Thanks in advance!

Kas

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2017 at 8:18:25 #868201

Welcome to MySwissAlps Kas!

The Swiss Travel Pass is likely a good choice as you’ll be based in two different regions and I assume will be doing trips every day. Also it’s convenient as you don’t need to buy tickets for most trips: just board and go. If it is your cheapest choice depends on all of your travel plans combined: where do you come from, go to, and which day trips and museums do you want to include. To be 100% sure you can do a full pass comparison as explained here.

What’s included for free, and discounted, can be found on the map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Activities around Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen can be found here:

I don’t think there are “musts”. Nearly all mountain tops are very nice provided that the weather is good. Apart from that it depends on your personal interests which one appeals most to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:16:34 #868202

Hi Arno! Thanks for your kind reply. Sorry i should have been more specific. What I wanted to know is that we should go to places like Jungfraujoch thats not covered in the swiss travel pass or just stick with what on the list of the pass like Rigi, Pilates or Titlis. And if you have a choice (really hoping for good weather haha) which 2 you would plan to do? 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:54:30 #868203

Hi Kas,

In Luzern, Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi are free so I would do one or both of those and not worry about Mt. Titlis, but if you want to go there it is 50% off with your Swiss Travel Pass.

In the Lauterbrunnen area, no mountains are fully covered. The two biggest mountains are Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. The discount to Schilthorn is better and will be a little cheaper for you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 4:27:21 #868204

Thank you Lucas! I have finally buying the rail pass today 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 6:48:00 #868205

Hi Guys, a question about the scenic trains. I will be staying 4 days in Luzern and 4 in lauterbrunnen. Which of the scenic trains would you recommend taking with the swiss pass? Just to remind you that I have a 5 and 12 year old kids. Im thinking of the Golden Line, Gothard Panorama or the Chocolate express. Is it worth the time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 13:15:40 #868206

Hi Kasykas,

Those would be the best options to consider based on where you are staying. You could combine the Golden Pass (Lucerne to Montreux via Zweisimmen) and the chocolate train (Montreux to Broc-Fabrique).

This would make for a long day trip from either of your base towns, but Lucerne would be the easiest. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to help you plan your trips. You’ll have to get to Montreux before 9am to catch the Chocolate train though….however you can take any train to get to the chocolate factory!

The Gotthard Panorama Express starts in Lucerne (on a boat) and ends in Lugano (or Bellinzona) and then you need a regional train back – also a reasonable idea. I have a feeling it will be your kids choice in the end!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 17:14:43 #868207

Thanks Lucas! All of you have been a great help for me and I can’t thank you enough!

Yes I guess that will be true and if given a choice they would def be picking the chocolate factory haha. However its mentioned that the train from Lucern to Montruex (golden Pass) will take 5.5 hours. Even if I take the train from Lauterbrunnen To Interlaken Ost then onwards to Montruex, would I have time to go to Broc’s chocolate tour? In the time table, if take the train from Lauterbrunnen at 8:03am, it arrives at Montruex (thru Zweisimmen) at 12.13pm. Then from there it takes 2 hours to Broc Village at 2pm. Would we have enough time to have a tour and visit the factory?

Also another question I have is if I should get the Swiss travel pass if i don’t consider doing the scenic trains at all since we will be doing lots of train rides thruout the stay. I read in a not the post that the swiss pass is only useful if we take the scenic trains?

Could you help and tell me if for this itinerary, i would need a half fare card or swiss pass or nothing at all. I tried checking SBB sites for prices but some routes doesn’t show the price.

Day 1 – Basel Airport to Lauterbrunnen – visit staubbach falls or just relax.

2 – Visit tramelbauch falls, Visit Murren/Gimmelwald

3 – Golden pass train from interlaken to Montruex-Broc and return to Lucern (if buying swiss pass). If not buying swiss pass, visit jungfraujoch or Schilthorn

4 – Take a train to Lucern (will be here for 4 days) – Explore Luzern, Swiss transport museum, old city, chapel bridge etc

5 – Go to either Mt. Rigi or Mt Pilatus

6 – A day trip to Lugano over the famous Gotthard line (with pass). OR visit Other city – Zurich for a day

7 – Mt Titlis/Engelberg

8 – Train to geneva airport at 2 pm.

Thank you So much!!!

Kas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 6:17:11 #868208

Hi Kas,

I think 2 hours is about the time for the chocolate factory – so you can decide if it is worth the trip (and late arrival back).

You can also take a more direct train to Zweisimmen from Luzern (less than 2.5 hours) and then take a panoramic train from Zweisimmen to Montreux (1 hour 45 min). On the timetable link, panoramic trains are listed as MOB Panoramic or Belle Epoque.

I’m not sure where you read the Swiss Travel Pass is only worth buying for panoramic trains – definitely not! It is valid on almost all trains in Switzerland. So the more you use it (on trains, boats, cable cars etc) the more of a deal it is.

Also, you always have to buy a reservation on panoramic trains (even with a Swiss Travel Pass). The exception is on the Golden Pass route, but I would recommend reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux in the summer.

I would still buy the Swiss Travel Pass on your itinerary. I’m not sure why you would change your plans on day three depending on if you have a Swiss Travel Pass though – if you have the pass you do get discounts to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn so it is worth having either way.

If you can’t find prices on the timetable for some routes (not the first price you see is the Half Fare Card rate – the normal price is higher and you have to click on the buy button to find the normal price) you should be able to find all point to point ticket prices here.

• The thread ‘Which mountain is a must visit from Lauterbrunnen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.