Train pass for few days Zermatt from Geneva in Dec

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
MasDevil
MasDevil
4 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 12:36 PM

Hi... I am planning to go to Zermatt for a few days( 16th Dec -19 Dec 2019)..I will be reaching Geneva Airport around 1 p.m.. I intend to spend a few hours in Geneva and then taking the train from Geneva to Zermatt... It will be my first time in Switzerland... I have seen on the net that there are several passes ( swiss pass half pass, zermatt pass and so on). I have no idea which pass to opt for.. I intend on going to zermatt by train, using the train over there, and on the 19th taking the train from zermatt to strasbourg. Any help would be much appreciated...

Arno
Arno
14100 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:31 PM
Annika
Annika
6100 posts
expert &
Oct 13, 2019 - 5:36 PM

Hello MasDevil, and welcome to the forum! Great that you get to spend a couple of days in Zermatt.

Picking the right pass can be challenging indeed. It depends on each and every detail of one's itinerary. If you want to make sure which option is most economical, you'd have to follow a rather complex calculation procedure as explained at www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. If that task is too daunting, an educated guess will have to do. If I were you, I'd consider these options:

• a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass which will cover all Swiss traveling from December 16 up to December 19. This will include the Swiss leg of your outbound trip to Strasbourg; the pass will be valid up to Basel. You'll get discounts on mountain transportation. Please find all details, including extensive validity information and explanation on how the pass works, through www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. This would definitely be the easiest and most convenient option;
  • a Swiss Half Fare Card, granting a 50% discount on all of your tickets: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. You could add discounted Saver Day Passes for the long and expensive transfers like Geneva-Zermatt and Zermatt-Basel. If bought well in advance, Saver Day Passes might be cheaper than regular 50% discounted tickets. Please see www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass for more information.

In both cases, you'll need additional tickets for the trip to Strasbourg: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france.

Tips for Zermatt can be found at www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt.

I hope this helps you decide!

MasDevil
MasDevil
4 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 6:23 PM in reply to Arno

Thanks very much for your help Arno

MasDevil
MasDevil
4 posts
Oct 13, 2019 - 6:29 PM in reply to Annika

H Annika, thanks a lot for your help... I have also come across supersaver tickets... is this available for mountain transportation as well?

1960man
1960man
2242 posts
top member
Oct 13, 2019 - 11:01 PM in reply to MasDevil

No, supersaver tickets are for the main line trains of Swiss Federal Railways and the other 'main line' network trains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/swi tzerland. If you succeed in getting very cheap point to point tickets for your Geneva and Strasbourg journeys then just get regular tickets or the Zermatt pass for Zermatt - that might be as cheap as you are going to achieve overall (especially as the half fare card has been mentioned but that has an initial purchase cost to add in)

MasDevil
MasDevil
4 posts
Oct 14, 2019 - 6:01 AM in reply to 1960man

OK...thanks very much for your help

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019