Swiss Half Fare Card a good idea with car rental?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 10:25:38 #814653

Hi I plan to drive from Germany into Switzerland . We are 4 adults and 2 children doing this trip. Itinerary is as below

1 night in Zurich

Spend 2 days in Lucerne . Visit Mt. Pilatus first day Mt. titlis 2nd day then

1 night in Interlaken to visit Jungfrau and then drive to Bern from where we visit the chocolate and cheese factory .

My question is : Do I buy train/cable car/ cog wheel passes for the peaks online or directly at the station . Also is it better to buy a swiss half fare card . Do I end up saving money that way ??

Anyone to guide me how best way to do Mt. Pilatus Mt. Titlis and Jungfrau

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 12:12:56 #877960

Hi vppant and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can buy tickets online or at the train/gondola station when you arrive. We have links to book tickets online for each mountain listed here. Be sure to check the weather before going up and buying tickets – no need to spend all the money to see clouds! This is especially true for Jungfraujoch.

You can read about how to get to those mountains here: Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus & Jungfraujoch.

You may save money with the Swiss Half fare Card. It depends on how many mountain trips you make and their costs (to see if you break even or save money overall).

You can use our spreadsheet on our page How to choose the best rail pass to help you with the math (to ensure it is advantageous for you to buy a rail pass).

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 March 2018 at 12:42:19 #877961

Hi Vppant,

For the Jungfraujoch trip I’d recommend to leave your car parked in Interlaken so you can do the full circular trip. You’ll find details through the Jungfraujoch linked that Lucas gave you. Then afterwards pick up your car and proceed to Bern.

Do you mean the chocolate and cheese factories in Gruyères and Broc? If you’re there in summer you can drive a scenic route via Spiez, Boltigen and then the Jaunpass. So not via Bern. The pass road ends very close to the chocolate factory in Broc. Be careful on that road if you’re not used to driving in the mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 10:16:18 #877962

thank your arno

regards

vikram

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 10:17:29 #877963

thanks lucas

will go through everything

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card a good idea with car rental?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.