Which pass to use- Eurail Pass or Swiss Half Fare?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 1:57:19 #811356

Hi,

I am traveling alone to Swiss this June. Initially I planned based on Swiss Travel Pass so 8 days in Switzerland and end in Konstanz.

Following is my itinerary: 13 days in Switzerland – Germany

Basel (1 night) – Bern (day trip from Basel) – Basel(1 night) – Interlaken (2 nights, Jungfrau, Lake Brienz) – Luzern 2 nights (Mt. Rigi or Pilatus? Still deciding) – Zurich (1 night) – Rheinfalls, Konstanz (1 night)

Konstanz – Freiburg – Offenburg(Strasbourg) – Stuttgart – Mannheim

I am turning 27 this May, I can still use Eurail Youth Pass but not Swiss Travel Card Youth. Half fare card or Eurail which pass is better for my trip?

Is it possible if I stay base in 1 place Stuttgart/Freiburg then move to Mannheim at last day of my trip? Which location is better as base?

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 8:35:52 #861289

Hi Minzc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Choosing between Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus is difficult for sure – both are great….I might lean to Mt. Rigi for summer visits….

If I were you I might consider the Eurail Youth Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card which can give you discounts on the trains that aren’t covered in Switzerland by the Eurail Youth Pass.

We don’t have information on this site for trips outside of Switzerland. I think Freiburg is a pretty city to base yourself in personally, but it depends on what you want to see and do – trips in Germany take a little longer than in Switzerland, so factor that into your decision on where to base yourself.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 16:03:11 #861290

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Is the coverage of Eurail itself not sufficient for traveling 8 days in Swiss?

Can you share more on Mt. Rigi summer visit? I am staying nearby Kriens, that’s why the hesitation between these 2.

Minz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 18:16:44 #861291

Hi Minz,

The Eurail doesn’t cover as many routes as Swiss rail passes but it may cover all you need? Have a look at the link above to see where it is valid.

I haven’t been to Mt. Rigi yet, but there is a lot of information about it on the link I posted earlier.
    Also, from Kriens it would be easier and quicker to go to Mt. Pilatus. 🙂

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which pass to use- Eurail Pass or Swiss Half Fare?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.