Which pass would be best for my hiking trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 15:51:28 #812144

Hi there, I’m coming to Switzerland in early August.

My plan is to fly early into Basel (arriving 10.20) and get the train to Grindelwald. From Grindelwald I’d like to go to Jungfraujoch (weather permitting) then carry on over to Lauterbrunnen / Murren to stay that evening.

The next day I am hiking Lauterbrunnen / Murren to Griesalp.

Then Griesalp to Kandersteg.

Then Kandersteg to Adelboden and catching a late flight out of Geneva that night.

Would I be better off buying separate train tickets to and from the airports, or a rail pass of some sort? I see there’s a pass to get you from airports to towns. I’m not eligible for any discounts.

(I understand I have to buy my Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch ticket separately but that I could get a discount if I had a rail pass).

Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 7:32:04 #864595

Hi Rsmall and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would look at either a Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card for your trip. The Swiss Travel Pass covers most of the routes you are planning and discounts on others – see what it covers exactly here.

The Swiss Half fare Card is cheaper and gives you 50% off all trips – but you have to buy tickets for every trip you take where you don’t most of the time with the Swiss Travel Pass.

In the end, to know for sure, visit out “How to choose the best rail pass” page here. It will help you do the math to compare rail passes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 8:41:09 #864596

Thanks very much for your advice, I’ll take a look!

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    6 June 2017 at 17:06:40 #864597

I’m sure you already know this but the route you have chosen takes you up and over the three most challenging peaks of the Via Alpina. I hope you are a highly experienced alpine hiker with lots of stamina and experience with vertical ascents/descents in sometimes iffy terrain (scree fields, steep drop offs, etc).

Kandersteg to Adelboden is rather grueling, plan on a LONG day. Be aware that there is no train service to/from Adelboden, only bus. If you need to be back to Geneva for a flight out that same night you will need to do some tight planning.

Half Fare Card will be your friend.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 16:48:20 #864598

Thanks for your concern, and I’ll take a look at the Half Fare pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 19:02:49 #864599

Hello again – just been looking at Half Fare passes etc.

For the bus travel parts of my trip (from Basel airport to Basel train station, and from Adelboden to the train station), would I present my pass on the bus and buy a half price ticket from the driver? Or do I have to purchase the bus ticket in advance?

I wasn’t necessarily planning to buy any train tickets in advance so I can stay flexible.

Thanks for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2017 at 20:10:57 #864600

Most of the time there will be a machine to buy your bus ticket from at the bus stop – if there isn’t a machine then you can buy it with the bus driver.

The machines take credit cards and cash (bills and coins) as well.

• The thread ‘Which pass would be best for my hiking trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.