Best rail pass for 5 days in Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 2:13:30 #811553

Oh my, thank god for this forum, because picking a pass is very confusing! My husband and I will be flying to Zurich and heading by train right to Wengen to stay for 5 nights. After 5 nights in Wengen we were planning on taking train to Milan, Italy and then renting a car. Most of our trip we will stay in the Bernese Oberland but will probably do a one day trip to Bern or Thun and take a scenic train ride. I have no clue what pass to purchase, or to just pay as we go? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Melissa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2017 at 5:51:53 #862195

Hi Melissa and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Don’t worry it takes everyone awhile to figure out the passes here (and tourists just don’t have the time).

I think the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland will work the best for you. It should cover all your planned trips in the area. Click here for a map and list of major attractions of what the pass covers. You have to buy the pass for 4 or 6 days however (no 5 day pass).

Then you will have to buy a ticket to and from the region – Zurich to Bern on day 1 and then from Brig on to Milan on your last day.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 12:59:49 #862196

Thanks so much, Lucas!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 22:13:24 #862197

Hi Lucas,

You recommend the regional pass – why this over the STP? I’ve tried looking for what the STP doesn’t cover that the regional pass does, but can’t find anything. So as the prices for the 2 passes are similar I’m a bit confused. The only thing I can see is that for the regional pass there are a couple different durations, which may be better based on how long one’s trip is (like for mkmoooo where they stay 5 nights but the STP has a gap between 4 and 8 days). Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2017 at 3:17:54 #862198

>> You recommend the regional pass – why this over the STP? I’ve tried looking for what the STP doesn’t cover that the regional pass does, but can’t find anything. So as the prices for the 2 passes are similar I’m a bit confused. The only thing I can see is that for the regional pass there are a couple different durations, which may be better based on how long one’s trip is (like for mkmoooo where they stay 5 nights but the STP has a gap between 4 and 8 days). Thanks!

Hi atedinabox, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Within the area covered by the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, the main difference between that and the Swiss Travel Pass relates to which routes are free, which are discounted, and the level of the discount.

Some examples:

Wengen or Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg

Berner Oberland Regional Pass – free

Swiss Travel Pass – discounted 25%

Hergiswil to Engelberg (for Titlis)

Berner Oberland Regional Pass – discounted 50%

Swiss Travel Pass – free

Golden Pass route

Berner Oberland Regional Pass – free Luzern to Saanen; 50% discounted between Saanen and Montreux

Swiss Travel Pass – free (whole route)

The legend on each map explains how to interpret the lines showing which routes are covered. The list of discounted routes/attractions on each page will help as well (Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland / Swiss Travel Pass)

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for 5 days in Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.