Which Swiss place is best for the postcard views?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2019 at 3:37:24 #821777

Hi,

I am planning to visit Europe in 1st week of Oct. My initial plan was from Paris to Rome but now thinking of visiting one place of Switzerland (1-2 days) before I move to Rome. I am traveling with my wife and senior parents (70 yrs). I am looking for a budget trip. Please help with the below queries –

1. Which one place in Switzerland should I visit considering that I am looking for the green pastures/snow scenic (basically the post card views). Also my parents cant walk much so need to consider this factor.

2. The cheapest and convenient way to reach ‘that place’.

3. Where can I stay in a budget accommodation?

4. Can I get a car on rent for the sightseeing of that place or any other better options?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 May 2019 at 9:41:17 #913023

Hello Nishan, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What a kind gesture to your parents!

1. I suggest no green pasture, but a lake and snowy mountains in the background. It is on the railway line from Paris to Rome, if you choose via Lausanne and Simplon Tunnel. Place called Clarens on Lake Geneva.

2. Get off the international train at Lausanne, take the local train towards Villeneuve, get off at Burier or Clarens. After your sightseeing, take a train again to Montreux and change again to an international train to Italy (there are several per day).

3. Switzerland is not a cheap country, but with my suggestion you have no extra cost.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels/budget

4. You don’t need a car if your parents can walk the short distance from the Burier (or Clarens) train station. Otherwise call a taxi.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    24 May 2019 at 4:31:54 #913024

Hello Snowman and Nishan (our traveler),

I like the idea of taking a local train east towards Villeneuve, and was wondering if the line that leaves Lausanne and goes along the lake might be another possibility, as then our travelers can alight at any of a number of stations (Villette, Cully, Épesses, Rivaz, or St-Saphorin) all of which are relatively small, very close to the lake with surrounding vinyards, and then they can board another local train to get to Montreux, at which point they can, as you have suggested, board an express train heading for Milan (and later Rome). All at no extra cost ! If our travelers have a bit more time, they could even continue along as far as Veytaux-Chillon in order to visit le Château de Chillon. This would necessitate backtracking to Montreux as the Italy-bound express trains do not stop at Villeneuve. Our traveler did mention “1-2 days” so perhaps a nice overnight in the area would be fitting.

They should be lucky with the weather in the first week of October; at least that is my experience. Rainy weather really makes it harder to find postcard views.

I guess I should have asked Nishan if they are travelling with Eurail passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2019 at 15:40:22 #913025

Hi Nishan and welcome to MySwissAlps,

What a wonderful idea… October would be Autumn and there will be wonderful colour patterns if you combine lake scenery with mountains.

I too would vote for Lavaux and/or Chateaux de Chillon. I took my parents to Lavaux and you could see a lot without having to walk much, specially if you take the wheled sightseeing trains through the vineyards. Have a look at this thread for more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/two-weeks-in-may-june

Be sure to check the weather: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

I have never been to Clarens but that looks amazing as well! All in the same region.

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2019 at 8:17:46 #913026

Thanks Snowman, Peterli, Maria for your valuable feedback. It helped me to get some idea about the places.

Is there any possibility to go for any cable ride to top which does not throw off my budget. I saw Titlis is too expensive for me. To put in a nutshell –

1. Looking for postcard view – Green pastures+Snow. 2. Cheap cable ride to top. 3. Not much walk for my parents. 4. Based on above 3 points budget location to stay for 2 days.

I might be asking too much with the above requirements but your guidance will definitely help me a lot. I can drop off cable ride if it doesn’t come in my budget.

I have 2 option to get into Switzerland – 1. Paris or 2. Rome. Mode of transportation (flight/train) to Switzerland would be based on your suggestion on the stay location.

@Peterli .. I havent considered eurorail passes yet as I seems not feasible for us. Do you think any passes would be required for the 2 day stay in Switzerland. If yes please provide the link as I am confused with so many passes. Not sure which fits in my requirement.

Thanks in advance.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 May 2019 at 9:09:33 #913027

< I have 2 option to get into Switzerland – 1. Paris or 2. Rome. >

Do I get it right: You will not travel from Paris to Rome (or reverse). In other words, Switzerland is not on the itinerary between France and Italy?

In that case we can suggest other locations in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2019 at 12:24:33 #913028

Hi Snowman,
    I have to fit in Switzerland between Paris and Rome. My entry and exit point in Europe is Paris. I am yet to finalise my plan route. I have 2 options –
    1. Paris – Switzerland – Rome+Pisa+ Vatican – Athens – Santorini – Paris
    Or
    2. Paris – Athens – Santorini – Rome+Pisa+Vatican – Switzerland – Paris.

So whichever is convenient for me with respect to Switzerland stay, I will choose the route from above 2 options.
    Please note in Italy my base location would be Rome (I will do day trip to Pisa and return back to Rome). Or let me know if there is feasible way from Pisa to Switzerland if I am going for route 2.

Thanks

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 May 2019 at 19:21:56 #913029

Hi Nishan

My advice in post 2 of this thread (photo place = Clarens) does not work, because of one thing I didn’t think of: what to do with your luggage. In fact, your concern will be difficult to satisfy:

– A budget trip in Switzerland (that alone is difficult to achieve, although not fully impossible);

– With your “old” parents (well, I’m 70 myself and still do quite a lot of challenging hiking, but I understand it is not the case of all people my age);

– You travel from overseas to three countries, so you are likely to have bulky luggage.

I’ll tell you my own personal advice: take the estimated budget you have calculated for this trip, and do something very nice for your parents in your own country. I’m sure you could do something beautiful, and imagine how less stressful it would be for your parents and your wife! I assume you are surprized, but really consider it!

But maybe your parents always dreamt of visiting Switzerland. So I have a few additional questions:

A. Have you been to Switzerland before, or western Europe?

B. What kind of luggage do you plan to have? Is it possible to pack in such a way that your parents’ essential items for 2-3 days are in the suitcases of yourself and your wife, while their own luggage is checked in for a further destination (such as check-in in Geneva upon arrival from Paris to be rail-freighted to Brig just before leaving Switzerland for Italy?)

C. How far can your parents walk (on paved ways, with no luggage to carry)? That’s because the cablecar stations I know are at some distance from railway stations.

D. A car rental is in the range of CHF 120 to 150 per day plus petrol, would that suit your budget?

E. Budget travellers use Youth Hostel (no age restriction in spite of the name) where people sleep 4 in a room, and use a bathroom on the floor. Would that be acceptable?

There are green pastures and snowy mountains in France and in Italy. In fact, the highest peak in Western Europe, Mount Blanc, is on the French/Italian border, outside Switzerland. Did you consider finding your postcard place in one of these countries? They are considerably less costly.

Sorry about that. Now read again my entire message.

I wish you, your wife and your parents a relaxed time full of smiles.

Snowman

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 May 2019 at 1:02:03 #913030

Nice work

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    27 May 2019 at 2:56:07 #913031

Hello again Nishan,

You wrote << @Peterli .. I havent considered eurorail passes yet as I seems not feasible for us. Do you think any passes would be required for the 2 day stay in Switzerland. If yes please provide the link as I am confused with so many passes. Not sure which fits in my requirement.>>

I wasn’t suggesting that you buy a Eurorail pass, or any other pass, for that matter. I was just trying to get a handle on how you plan to move around on this trip. May I assume that the segments between Rome and Athens are by plane and the Athens < > Santorini segments are by boat ? If this is the case, then I would further assume that you are really looking at train travel options from Paris to Rome (and return). And yes, with a stop in Pisa either on the way to Rome or on the way back to Paris ? I am not an expert on train passes, but I believe you can buy one for three countries (like France, Switzerland, and Italy) but it would be kind of a waste if in the middle of its validity period you go off to Greece. I therefore suspect that buying tickets from Paris to Rome and return, with different routes, might be the most economical option for you. For instance: Paris – Lausanne – Milan – Rome, and then Rome – Pisa -Paris (via the Nice on the French Riviera).

To answer your question about purchasing a pass for a 2 day stay in Switzerland, I would say the answer is “no” especially if you are passing through on your way from Paris to Italy and therefore already covered by your train ticket.

Snowman mentioned the Swiss Youth Hostels (called Auberges de Jeunesse in the part of the country it seems you will be in, and Jugendherberge in the German part). When I was much younger I stayed at the one in Territet with 21 students but I believe it is now located in a new building. As Snowman said, don’t be put off by the word “Youth”, and I suspect that by October it will not be crowded. You can check on their website which is here: http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/ hostels/montreux/ It would appear that staying there for entitles each of you to a Montreux Riviera Card. I am not sure of this, but the Montreux Youth Hostel does mention this card as a “benefit”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2019 at 12:01:28 #913032

Hi,

I m planning a trip to Swizterland. Arrival at Zurich airport on 28th Sep from India. Can you please give guide plan to cover maximum place in 8 days. I m intersted to stay in one or 2 place and daily travel from there. I want to visit Mt. Titlis, lucern, interlaken, Murren, Zermat with Glacier, Lausanne.

Please help me for this.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 May 2019 at 15:18:22 #913033

Hi Kajvir12,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps, and welcome! This is someone else’s thread. Please read the forum rules and post your questions in a new thread, so we can help you better. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2019 at 5:52:54 #913034

Hi Snowman, Hi Peterli,

Sorry for the delay in reply. I was out of town.

@Snowman… Thanks for understanding my concern and effectively jotting down the alternative (my own country ) over the switzerland trip. My parents never dreamt of Switzerland (they are such a innocent souls :)); its actually mine to take them to Switzerland in my euro tour itinerary. Later down the line I shouldn’t feel guilty that this wish of mine was let off :). I am happy to know that you are still energetic at this age for the hiking and I sincerely hope I will have the same enthusiasm when I reach that age (got inspired by you) 🙂

This would be our first euro trip. My mom can walk around 1km at a stretch. After that she might sit off for few minutes and again move on. Since its a 12 days trips we assume at-least 4 mid size luggage. Frankly I was not aware of ‘rail-freighted’ option and I am open to it if its feasible for us.

@Peterli.. I havent still figured it out which mode to choose in between countries. But I see some airfares cheap (e.g. ryan air) over train fare. I will choose the mode whichever is convenient for my parents. Thanks 🙂

Update – My flight ticket has been booked. My entry/exit into/from Europe is Paris. I am planning to visit Grindelwald location so preferring stay for 2 days around that location. please help with the points below.

1. Paris to Switzerland OR Rome to Switzerland (this option is during the last 2 days of the euro trip; after which I will move to Paris for the return flight back to my country). Which out of the 2 option would be advisable?

2. Since the 2 day stay falls in weekend, is there any fare hike (for day excursions) during the weekends? Also for 2nd option (from Rome) the stay is on 12th & 13th Oct. Is there any possibility that some activities get closed during that phase (eg. cable ride etc.)

3. Any kind of pass I need to take for these 2 days?

4. Any better option than Grindelwald?

Thanks in advance.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 June 2019 at 7:33:46 #913035

Hi Nishan-

There are many, many places in Switzerland to take pictures such as you seek.

I thought about your interest when I was up on the Rigi, near Luzern. So, I took a postcard picture.

The attached photo actually looks too much like a commercial postcard for my tastes, but, it shows some idea of what you can see around Lake Lucerne. Not that I am suggesting you go there; it is simply an example. Riding a lake boat near Interlaken would likely give you the views you seek.

Still plenty of snow on the mountains now.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 June 2019 at 3:49:35 #913036

Bonjour Slowpoke,

Why not show our traveler one of your photos of the Lauterbrunnen valley ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2019 at 5:55:27 #913037

@Slowpoke.. the Rigi looks very tempting 🙂 and I googled for few images for Lauterbrunnen @Peterli.. its mesmerizing :):)

I have kept Grindelwald on the top of the list.

But I stumbled upon 2 more excursion places in some Forum in the Geneva-Alp region :- Glacier3000 & Rochers-de-Naye. Considering that I will be traveling in 1st week of Oct which will be more scenic (and/or snow) and convenient to reach?

Thanks in advance.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2019 at 6:02:34 #913038

Hi Nishan,

The train to Rochers-de-Naye departs from the town center of Montreux, so very easy to reach. Do not expect snow there though.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2019 at 6:04:26 #913039

Nice picture Slowpoke, indeed postcard worthy as it shows everything one might think of when having Switzerland in mind.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2019 at 6:53:26 #913040

Hi Arno-

Thanks. I did aim for a “postcard” so I guess that is a compliment. 😉

In fact, most of the time, I try to take pictures that do not look like postcards. Particularly because they tend to have unrealistic oversaturated colors and high contrast.

Once in a while, they are OK, but the one I have selected for my avatar is more to my taste. 😉 Attached in a bit higher resolution.

At full enlargement, about 80 cm high and correspondingly wide, it allows you to see the hikers at the edge of the trail/cliff. As you walk toward the image hung on the wall and get within a meter or so, they become visible. Once you see them, the scale and overwhelming nature of the north face become visible. It then gives some hint of what you feel as you walk towards the Eiger on that trail.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 June 2019 at 9:35:59 #913041

Hi Slowpoke,

It’s hard to take pictures that do not look like postcards as everything is beautiful in the Alps 🙂 But I get your point. Trying to translate the feeling of overwhelming nature into a picture is a good challenge and quite hard. One has to be there to know what it’s like. Hence this website I guess, and the countless visits of some of us 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2019 at 11:30:43 #913042

<<“Why not show our traveler one of your photos of the Lauterbrunnen valley ?”>>

Can do.

The LBV in June on an unusually clear day is attached

Also, of Grindelwald, taken in late September., from near Männlichen.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Which Swiss place is best for the postcard views?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.