9 day Swiss itinerary – best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 15:29:59 #813709

Sorry for yet another rail card question but unfortunately to the new traveler its not as easy to follow and sometimes too much information makes it more confusing. I’m almost at the point of just picking one and playing the 50/50 odds of getting it right haha. So i thought i’d try the forum as a last resort.

11/29 arv Zurich airport and either rail to main station for our overnight or Uber to hotel near station

11/30 Zurich main station to Zermatt for 3 nights. while there take the cable car up for the scenic tour, skiing etc

12/3 Zermatt to Grindlewald for 3 nights. train to Jungfrajoch, see Interlaken, wengen etc

12/6 Grindlewald to Zurich main station, overnight

12/7 Zurich main station to airport, depart

So, half price pass?

thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 17:33:10 #872196

Hi bradrussell and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It isn’t often an easy question to answer for sure.
    The only way to know for sure (if you want/need to know 100%) is to plan out all the rail, bus and/or cable car trips you will take and do the math – see our page here for help.

You are in country for 9 days but your first and last are very short train trips within Zurich (7 or 8 chf regular price) so essentially 7 days of train travel. To me the one that makes the most sense would be the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. It is much more convenient than the Swiss Half Fare Card as you don’t need to buy tickets as you go (except for the odd mountain excursion still – see here what is and isn’t covered fully). Even if you do the math to compare the two passes and it works out a little more expensive, the convenience factor may make up for that.

• The thread ‘9 day Swiss itinerary – best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.