Which rail pass is best for 2 weeks in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 3:35:44 #807365

Hello, please help. We are arriving in Zurich 31 July and travelling to Engelberg, staying 2 nights before treking the Swiss Alpine route, overnight stops will be Engstlenalp, Meiringen, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Griesalp, Kandersteg, Adelboden, Lenk and ending in Saanen, 14 days in all. From there, one of us goes back to Zurich airport, the other to Italy, probably Stresa. I am confused about the best rail pass or even if point to point tickets will be best. There may be times along the trek that we will use cable cars, gondolas or chairlifts along the way if we cannot enjoy the strenuous walking. We have been highly recommended Jungfrau railway also. Train travel to Engelberg and from Saanen is our method of choice, but which pass would you recommend.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2015 at 10:36:22 #843708

Hi Oztreck,

You have planned to do some wonderful hiking! The Swiss Half Fare Card is the pass you need. To see what’s covered, please go to myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ validity. To find the purchase options, please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price. As you can see there, it makes sense to get them from raileurope.com.au/pass /swiss-half-fare-card-7423 or raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-half-fare-card in your case.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 11:12:31 #843709

Thank you Arno for your prompt reply and advice. I had been researching the Swiss Half Fare Card, and also found Swiss Transfer ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card. What are your thoughts on this option?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 11:27:48 #843710

Is it a Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi?

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2015 at 11:38:56 #843711

I recommend the regular Swiss Half Fare Card. It’s slightly cheaper than the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi in your case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2015 at 21:48:25 #843712

Sorry, Arno – I’m in Australia and in a different time zone, difficult to communicate. Yes it is a Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi which is supposed to povide round trip transfer from any Swiss airport or border station to any destination in Switzerland, month valid for 1 month, and then I guess the Swiss Half Fare Card we would use for anything else. Itr looks like I can purchase through the links you had posted, electronic tickets are accepted then?

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 June 2015 at 6:22:12 #843713

We’ll manage the discussion despite the time zones, no problem! You just need a Swiss Half Fare Card (one for each person), nothing else. You can buy them through the links I gave you. I’m not sure what you mean by “electronic tickets are accepted”. Do you mean tickets to print at home? The sites I referred to are the cheaper options for you and they will physically ship the Swiss Half Fare Cards. If you prefer to print them yourself you can buy them from the Swiss Railways webshop, but that’s the more expensive option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2015 at 11:12:25 #843714

Yes, by electronic tickets I meant print at home. If it is possible for tickets to be sent to me in Australia that’s fine too. Do I have enough time to receive them? Remember we depart Australia 30 July.

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:19:12 #843715

Hi Oztreck,

There’s plenty of time regardless of where you book. But the Australian site I gave you would make sense. They have an office in Australia so it won’t take more than a few days.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass is best for 2 weeks in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.