About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Best route to visit Appenzell, Lucerne, Jungfrau
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Best route to visit Appenzell, Lucerne, Jungfrau

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Isabellharri
Isabellharri
1 post
Feb 16, 2021 - 3:45 PM

Hey! I’m planning a trip to Switzerland, hopefully for next year if it’s possible. I’ve been doing some research on the best places to visit and the places I want to go include : Appenzell, Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Gimmelwald and Jungfraujoch.

So far I’ve planned to head from Zurich airport to Appenzell and spend a few days there doing some hikes from Wasderauen, and spend a night in a hut on one of the mountains maybe. Then head to Lucerne and spend maybe 2 or 3 days there, seeing both mount titlis and mount Pilatus.

After this I’m not sure what route would be best that would include going to Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald and Gimmelwald, and also heading up to Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch observation area.

Does anyone have any knowledge and advice on this? And is there anywhere that you think I should also visit that I’ve missed out, or anywhere I’ve mentioned that isn’t worth visiting. I haven’t decided how long I want to spend so I’m quite flexible with how long I stay at each place.

Any help would be appreciated!

Anna
Anna
1004 posts
top member &
Feb 16, 2021 - 7:40 PM in reply to Isabellharri

Hi Isabelharri,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, it's probably best to start your trip in Appenzell if you are flying in to Zurich. Then you can work your way south to Lucerne. May I suggest taking the Voralpen Express via St Gallen. You can find details of this scenic train here: www.myswissalps.com/voralpenexpress

In Lucerne you'll have no problem travelling to the Jungfrau region. Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald, Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch are all located within this region. Plan to stay a few days if you wish to explore everything. You'll find more information here: www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

Lucerne and its surrounding areas also have plenty to offer in terms of sightseeing and things to do: www.myswissalps.com/lucerne

Good luck with your trip planning! And let us know if you need more input.

Regards,

Anna

Mark
Mark
580 posts
top member
Feb 17, 2021 - 2:55 AM in reply to Isabellharri

Hi Isabelhari

Your itinerary may depend on your primary interests. If you prefer more passive sightseeing but with beautiful views then Jungfraujoch, Titlis, and Pilatus are good choices. On the other hand if you prefer more active sightseeing as hiking, I would some of the spectacular hikes in the Jungfrau area. Such as Schynige Platte to First or the Eiger Trail from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen. There are many great hikes in the area.

Another area of iconic sights and the opportunity for hiking is around Zermatt where the Matterhorn, Gornergrat, and Mount Rosa are.

Mark

Ildiko
Ildiko
1059 posts
top member &
Feb 17, 2021 - 10:51 AM in reply to Isabellharri

Hi Isabellharri,

here you can find great hiking routes if you scroll down a bit, use the filter to narrow down your search: www.myswissalps.com/hiking

If you happen to go to Zermatt too, this one is one of my favourites: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/rotenboden-riffelalp

Ildiko

EigerTyger
EigerTyger
20 posts
Feb 19, 2021 - 5:36 PM in reply to Ildiko

Hi Isabellharri,

In Appenzell I'd recommend a hike to fabulous Seealpsee where you'll get a spectacular view of Mount Santis, not to mention the lake! After doing that hike my wife and I took the gondola up to Mount Santis the next day and had a wonderful view of Seealpsee from on high!

EigerTyger

Danielsan
Danielsan
138 posts
Feb 21, 2021 - 9:35 PM in reply to Isabellharri

Hi Isabellharri,

There are countless things to do in the Jungfrau region to keep busy (same with most of Switz,). I echo the sentiments of Mark in that Zermatt would also be a great place to visit. Not sure how long your in Switz. for, or what time of the year, (Sept. is a great time of the year, if you're thinking of hikes, as you mentioned) but in my opinion (just an opinion) it would be kind of a shame to visit the country without seeing the iconic Matterhorn. You certainly will not regret it! And there is plenty to do there. If you see Mt. Pilatus in Lucerne, you may consider staying at the hotel (Kulm) up there. That was one of the best 24-hour periods of my life. You can't go wrong staying a few days in Appenzell, Lucerne, Wengen (Jungfrau region) and Zermatt. Keep doing your research, see what else interests you and enjoy the planning, as well as the trip. Hope your trip goes off without a hitch and you have fun.

Danielsan

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021