Which scenic train route? Based in Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 22:30:16 #811740

Hi,

I’ve done a good amount of reading on the different scenic train routes, but I haven’t really seen anything that says if there’s one that is more strongly recommended than others. Or that takes into account the time of year. I’m sure you can’t go wrong with any of them, but I’d like to do a great trip without using too much of our limited time. We’ll be in Murren for about 3 days and Lucerne for half a day in the last week of May, and would like to do one of the panoramic train routes for half a day, or possibly a full day. Could someone please provide a recommendation for a good route for us? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 May 2017 at 6:02:17 #863019

Hi atedinabox,

Where are you coming from and going to either side of your time in Mürren and Luzern? That may dictate which scenic train trips might suit you best.

The most obvious one from Mürren is the Golden Pass Route (see http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere ). You will do part of that between Interlaken Ost and Luzern. The other part goes from Interlaken Ost to Montreux via Spiez and Zweisimmen.

You can check the timetables at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 10:06:07 #863020

Hi atedinabox,

The Golden Pass route would be my suggestion as well based on your location. A little longer trip, from Luzern or Flüelen would be the Gotthard Panorama Express which takes you to the south end of Switzerland in Lugano (a longer day trip).

The other options, the Glacier Express and Bernina Express would entail a very long day of travel. I would only contemplate the Glacier Express out of the two as a day trip as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 16:34:55 #863021

Hi and thanks for the reply. We’re flying into Zurich early Thursday morning, going straight to Murren, and then Sunday morning we go to Luzern and spend half a day there before going back to Zurich Airport at night.

So we already will travel by default between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, is it also worth taking the time to do the 2nd part that you mention, from Interlaken to Montreux? And if so, how long is it good to plant on staying in Montreux for?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 18:34:48 #863022

Yes, I think if you have the time the trip on to Montreux is worth it.

I went to Montreux as a day trip from Zurich on this same route last year. I wandered along the lake, had lunch, explored the city centre and returned home. I think we spent about 4 hours there. If you just want a taste of the city then that is sufficient.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2017 at 0:10:37 #863023

Hi atedinabox,

Here’s an alternative plan IF you don’t want to take a day out from all the interesting things to do in the Mürren/Interlaken area AND IF you don’t want to double up on the Golden Pass route AND IF you don’t mind foregoing an afternoon in Luzern.

On your last day you could go from Mürren to Zurich via the Glacier Express between Brig and Chur) (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere) using the timetable set out in the attached picture. Just an alternative for you to consider. You will need reservations on the Glacier Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 9:52:41 #863024

Thanks again for the answers. Seems like we will definitely do the Golden Pass to Montreaux at least.

The option to do the Glacier Express on the last day is also tempting! The idea of the trip to Luzern also had the purpose of being close to Zurich so that we didn’t have to worry about missing our flight due to a missed connection or train delay or something, but if we leave earlier in the morning that could work.

One more question in general with all of these scenic trains – are there any for which there is a significant difference between 1st and 2nd class? For when it can be said the experience is much better in 1st class? (not just a bigger/more comfortable seat or something, but for example that the view is much better or something like that)

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 16:06:28 #863025

No there isn’t a big difference, certainly not scenery-wise – except perhaps for the limited VIP seats available on some of the panoramic trains on the Golden Pass route (they are in the first carriage only and face forwards).

Otherwise, it is fewer people, larger seats and sometimes larger windows.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Which scenic train route? Based in Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.