Which Section of the Via Alpina?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2015 at 13:42:48 #807408

Hello,

I have 15 days to hike in late July and early August and I’d like to do a section of the Via Alpina. I’m an avid hiker/camper and have a little “alpine” experience, but I’ve never been in the Alps before. I’m looking for some spectacular views, good challenges, and an adventure. I’m hoping to keep the trip at lower costs, and I’m planning on carrying a tent and some overnight gear.

I’m currently undecided of which section to choose between Feldkirch (R56) and Vernayaz (R107). Can anyone offer any suggestions or help in making the decision, as well as any other advice you may have?

Thanks!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2015 at 15:17:57 #843839

Great links and forums! They are really helpful, and I’ve viewed many of them already. I feel pretty confident with my fitness, gear, and know-how. The thing that I don’t really know is how the hut system works: Do I need reservations at each hut in July and August?. What are the chances, I’ll come across a full hut or hostel? (I’m bringing a tent for “just in case”) Am I better off picking a leg that has more hut/hostel/hotel options, or will few options be okay?

Also, what are the “must-sees” that will help me narrow down my stretch. For example this section around Biasca has the neat suspension bridge, which looks great, but I don’t want to just do that leg because of 1 suspension bridge when there are other adventures that I would pass up. I know a this is pretty subjective, but I’m interested to see what people have to say about it

Thanks,

Eric

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 June 2015 at 16:19:58 #843840

Hi Eric,

The huts are pretty popular in July and August. A reservation is highly recommended, because they’re in remote locations with no alternatives if they’re fully booked. If you don’t want to book well in advance, you can call them one or two days prior to your arrival to make sure they have place left. Of course they may be fully booked by that time, but at least you know before heading up there. In that case you can pick a village as your destination, so that you’ll have multiple lodging options and transportation. The huts can be found on http://www.sac-cas.ch/en/huts/search-a-hut.html.

Note that small villages may have one or two hotels only, so that’s quite limited too. Make sure you do some research so you know your options and alternatives. The weather may influence your plans too, so alternatives are useful in any case.

I didn’t do this route myself so I can’t comment on must sees. Hopefully someone else picks up on this.

Arno

• The thread ‘Which Section of the Via Alpina?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.