Which Swiss pass for a week Zermatt-Wengen-Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 16:15:55 #812700

Hi,

I am a travelling around Switzerland on my own from 7th -13th Aug. Tentatively the itinerary as below:

7-9th Aug – Geneva to Zermatt

9-10th Aug – Zermatt to Wengen

10-12th Aug- Wengen to Lucerne

12-13th – Lucerne to Lausanne

13th – Lausanne to Gevena airport back to Asia.

Which swiss pass would you recommend me to get ? Can i get it from Geneva ? How is the weather like in the mountain in 1st week of Aug ?

Thanks.

Chin yee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 July 2017 at 16:56:33 #867215

Thanks for joining us here Chin yee!

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass seems a perfect fit to me. There is always the option of comparing it to the Swiss Half Fare Card in detail as explained here. But personally I wouldn’t bother as you’ll travel quite a lot and the Swiss Travel Pass is much more convenient.

You can buy it in Geneva, but it’s easier to buy it online and print it at home. That way you don’t have to wait for a ticket office and you can board your first train immediately. The options are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 3:48:56 #867216

Hi Chin yee,

>> How is the weather like in the mountain in 1st week of Aug ?

Most likely warm and sunny, but you can’t rule out a few cold, wet, foggy days as well.

On the mountain tops it could be either mild or chilly – there’s no way of knowing beforehand.

So you will need to dress in layers to accommodate different weather conditions. The information on this page is useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 15:40:06 #867217

Thanks very much Arno & Alpenrose.

I saw that the trip from Zermatt to Wengen i need to change 3-4 trains. It is on the same train station ? Do i need to walkt to different station to change train ? Is there other route ? Which route is more scenic ?

Sorry I am a solo female traveller and first time travelling alone in Switzerland. Sorry for so many questions .

Chin Yee

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 5:38:49 #867218

Hi Chin Yee,

No worries! It is good to ask!

You don’t leave the train station when you change to another train no. Most of the stations you change at (Visp, Spiez, Lauterbrunnen) are quite small and you may just have to walk across the platform. Interlaken may require a few minutes of walking (from track 1 to 7 for example).

Use the timetable here and it will show you what platform you arrive on and what platform you leave on.

There are other routes you can take there but it takes you out of your way to do it. IE take the Glacier Express to Andermatt and then on to Wengen eventually. You could also take a train to Montreux, then the Golden Pass to Interlaken and the on to Wengen. This adds several hours to your trip – so it only makes sense if you want to be on one of those panoramic trains and you don’t mind a long day of travel.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 7:03:37 #867219

Hi Chin Yee,

The SBB timetable will show you the fastest route which will take you through a long tunnel on the leg between Visp and Spiez.

If you check the timetable between Zermatt and Wengen and include VIA Goppenstein then you will go to Brig to change trains and enjoy a more scenic route over the mountains to Spiez. It is not one of the famous panoramic trains and it will take a little longer but is, I think, well worth it for the scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 13:26:12 #867220

Thanks Lucas & rockoyster : )

• The thread ‘Which Swiss pass for a week Zermatt-Wengen-Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.