Which Swiss rail pass for 2 adults, 14 & 18 yr old

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 14:29:57 #811808

Hi, this site has been very informative but I am confused as to which Swiss Rail Pass would be the best for me and my family? We are a family of 4 people (2 adults, 2 children (18 y/0 and 14 y/0) We would be landing in Zurich and then visiting the cities – Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Lausanne and we are planning to cover the mountains – Mt Titlis, Zermatt Matterhorn and Jungfraujoch. I was thinking of buying the Swiss Travel Pass but since it is very expensive, I am wondering if it is the right choice for me or not?

Thanks a lot for all your help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    13 May 2017 at 16:23:21 #863251

Hello vartika31, thanks for joining us!

Whether the Swiss Travel Pass is your best option, depends on the details of your itinerary. For example: will you be making day trips from Zurich, or do you plan to cover several base towns? How long does your stay last?

A Swiss Travel Pass could very well be worth the expenses in your case, since you plan to cover several parts of the country and you will thus be traveling a lot. Only calculations will tell if it’s the most economical option: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 17:09:50 #863252

Thanks Annika for your reply. We are planning to stay for 7 nights. On the 8th day, we will board the TGV to Paris.

No, we will not be making day trips. We are planning to stay 1-2 nights at Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and Lausanne.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Arno
    15478 posts
    13 May 2017 at 18:16:50 #863253

Hi vartika31,

Are you sure about not making day trips? In your other thread you were considering several day trips, and I would warmly recommend not to stay put in the cities but explore the area. There is a lot to see within Lucerne, but it would be a shame not to experience the surrounding mountains and the lake. Interlaken itself isn’t very interesting, you will have to explore the region to actually see and do something. Zermatt is small and can be explored on foot but there are several trains and cable cars to take you to excellent viewing points. Don’t skip those!

A Swiss Travel Pass will likely be your best option, but the page Annika gave you explains how to compare passes to be sure. You may want to compare it to the Swiss Half Fare Card. Tickets to Paris can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 6:23:25 #863254

Apologies, Arno. When I said we won’t be making day trips, I meant that we won’t be basing ourselves in Zurich and then travel back and forth. We are ofcourse planning to cover a 2-3 mountains (Jungfrau, Titlis and Matterhorn). The city tours as well as Chillon Castle and the cheese and chocolate factory.

Annika
    7115 posts
    15 May 2017 at 9:29:54 #863255

Hi vartika31,

In that case it’s indeed worth looking into the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. Of course you can compare it to several other options through the link I provided above.

• The thread ‘Which Swiss rail pass for 2 adults, 14 & 18 yr old’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.